Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All seems to be quiet on the western front .......
(12-26-2021, 05:06 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The thing with SARS-2 is that it gets undetected in the body for a long time with some people, who then get sick caused by a deficiency of the protein the virus "uses" to enter cells. 
If Omikron causes less damage, that must be because the virus is less capable of going undetected for a long time.

Hi BC, many thanks for your wishes, I agree with you on most said, except this statement, Omicron is better hiding than the rest of COVID viruses, however the area where it thrives best is the nose rather than the lungs, an area where damage has less serious consequences the time the immune systems recognizes it and clears it out. that's why it causes milder diseases with fewer deaths
I said that probably the omikron variant is worse at hiding for the immune system, if there is less sickness (less damage, less damage to the lungs). Like every cold and flu virus, the infected areas shift over time. If this new variant is spotted by the defences sooner, the whole system is less affected, including the lungs. This is also why some people do not get sick at all (their immune system spotted SARS-2 in whatever variant before their system was overrun by many reproduced viruses which would have caused the protein the virus binds to to enter cells to be very deficient, which is the cause for whatever damage results (thrombosis, heart damage, lung damage and other organ damage, "long covid"), because the energy burning biochemistry of our cells is hampered.

In the 1990's I had an Atari Mega ST, it came with Omikron BASIC. And with a very high resolution black and white monitor, which had an amazingly crisp image of 640x400 pixels. O the memories...
(12-27-2021, 08:51 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: In the 1990's I had an Atari Mega ST, it came with Omikron BASIC. And with a very high resolution black and white monitor, which had an amazingly crisp image of 640x400 pixels. O the memories...

Nice, let's go down the memory lane :-)
During the same era, I had an Amiga500 which, thanks to its numerous specialized coprocessors, had the most amazing hardware at the time (and a very powerful OS to go with it). I still have the Amiga (along an ancient Atari VCS 2600!) but due to some leaking condensators, it needs fixing. I still hope to fix it at some point ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Hi folks,
I tested positive yesterday, but i am really fine with just a little bit of fever, nothing more than a simple flu.
I have examined and treated tens of COVID patients this week...
my own experience is that cases are far milder than what I am used to see with COVID... and I guess this is good news
COVID becoming a normal flu: more contagious, milder symptoms
Get well soon, Toni.
(01-07-2022, 12:33 PM)toni-a Wrote: Hi folks,
I tested positive yesterday, but i am really fine with just a little bit of fever, nothing more than a simple flu.
my own experience is that cases are far milder than what I am used to see with COVID... and I guess this is good news
COVID becoming a normal flu:  more contagious, milder symptoms
Not a flu, a cold... Corona viruses are not influenza viruses.
(01-07-2022, 10:15 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
Actually, some flu viruses are corona viruses. Basically, corona viruses are really just a shape type, so effectively, corona is not the right moniker even if it is used a lot.
And corona-shaped viruses also occur with other diseases than just COVID/COVID-19 and influenza.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(01-08-2022, 04:09 PM)wim Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 10:15 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
Actually, some flu viruses are corona viruses. Basically, corona viruses are really just a shape type, so effectively, corona is not the right moniker even if it is used a lot.
And corona-shaped viruses also occur with other diseases than just COVID/COVID-19 and influenza.
That is incorrect. While other viruses also can be round, "corona" typically used for common cold and SARS/MERS viruses (also common cold viruses, which just hide better before the immune system detects and fights them, causing more damage by bigger numbers).
The "flu" is short for influenza. There are 4 types of flu viruses, none of which are named "corona".
Short overview of influenza viruses:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/types.htm

Corona viruses are cold viruses (there are other virus types that are also called "cold" virus).
Short overview of corona viruses:
https://coronavirusexplained.ukri.org/en...e/cad0003/

Overview of common cold viruses:
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-...old_causes

So, while corona viruses have their name because of their round shape, not all round viruses are corona viruses. Red Robins (roodborstje) are named after their red (orange) breast. But other birds with red in their plumage are not all red robins...
(01-08-2022, 04:29 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: That is incorrect. While other viruses also can be round, "corona" typically used for common cold and SARS/MERS viruses (also common cold viruses, which just hide better before the immune system detects and fights them, causing more damage by bigger numbers).
The "flu" is short for influenza. There are 4 types of flu viruses, none of which are named "corona".
Short overview of influenza viruses:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/types.htm

Corona viruses are cold viruses (there are other virus types that are also called "cold" virus).
Short overview of corona viruses:
https://coronavirusexplained.ukri.org/en...e/cad0003/

Overview of common cold viruses:
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-...old_causes

So, while corona viruses have their name because of their round shape, not all round viruses are corona viruses. Red Robins (roodborstje) are named after their red (orange) breast. But other birds with red in their plumage are not all red robins...
Nope, you're (partly) wrong. I read articles on corona-viruses which cause flu many years ago already, even before SARS-type infections started.

A simple, quick search showed this, f.e.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703274/

IOW, Corona-viruses (HCoV) have been known to cause flu-like symptoms, and were known already in the 1960s . I also know that there have been at least several flu-vaccines over the years to provide protection against these as well, depending on what the expectations were for a particular year with regard to flu-strains to be going around.

The main difference is that these were, and are, HCoVs (H for Human), rather than CoVs, which may originate from a non-human host, and which are the strains currently causing havoc worldwide.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
You don't read the article well, it seems. First, HCoV is a virus that affects humans, and it does NOT mean it originates from humans. The H just stands for that the virus also can infect humans. Consequently, these current SARS-2 strains are also HCoVs. SARS, SARS2 and MERS have their origin in other species (bats are a suspected source), and are considered HCoVs as humans can host these viruses (as can other species like cats, dogs and so on).

There are 7 HCoVs known/identified, see the article I linked to above. HCoV-229E, HCoV-OC43, HCoV-NL63, HCoV-HKU1 (known as common cold viruses), SARS, MERS and SARS-2. The article you link to says:
"We present findings describing the epidemiology of non-severe acute respiratory syndrome human coronavirus-associated influenza-like illness from a population-based active follow-up study in four different regions of Peru. In 2010, the prevalence of infections by human coronaviruses 229E, OC43, NL63, or HKU1 was 6.4% in participants with influenza-like illness who tested negative for influenza viruses."

So, it says that a study that looks at certain parts of the population of Peru where people are complaining/showing flu-like symptoms, 6.4% show not to have the flu (infections by influenza) but rather have infections of common cold viruses.