Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sample gallery: Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM
[Image: i-MrmQjpW-X2.jpg]

In this sample the problem is evident, especially to the lower right, I was surprised when I saw it, Canon will brake their own record I think set by Canon 17-85 17 years ago ???
I think that's more purple fringing. CA profile correction was activated for the sample images.

I suppose the lens is more meant as competition for smartphones.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-06-2022, 01:02 PM)Klaus Wrote: 5.5px corner CAs (based on a distortion corrected image, without CA correction)

You don't have this every day, too.

Corner stretching from correction makes itself felt in corner softness and CAs ........ 
   Canon's got a bit extreme with their distortion figures ......to the detriment of the lens's overall performance ........
I will test this lens in corrected mode only - nobody on this planet will use images in RAW mode.

I've done the MTFs in the meantime - they are somewhat higher than expected at medium aperture settings. Not sure why.

I suspect that the RAW converters struggle with the excessive color fringing whereas Imatest can see "through" this.

A field review which confirms the findings observed from Klaus' samples: https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-ca...f-2-8-stm/
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Well I was planning to get it despite shortcomings till I saw Sigma 20mmf2.0 coming ....
(02-09-2022, 02:37 PM)toni-a Wrote: Well I was planning to get it despite shortcomings till I saw Sigma 20mmf2.0 coming ....

And on what would you mount that Sigma? BTW, 16mm and 20mm is quite a difference..
RF mount should come soon, I won't need it before summer, in Qatar street photography is tricky otherwise nothing but parks and the desert and a few well known urban landmarks
Just for the fun of it - it has a peak vignetting of 8.32 f-stops in RAWs. ;-)

Attached Files
.jpg   vignetting_raw.jpg (Size: 23.33 KB / Downloads: 6)

Remember the times when 1.5 stops was considered "heavy vignetting". Haha. Big Grin