Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE PZ 16-35mm F4 G announced
Yes, there it looks really sharp, and processed/corrected for CA too, compared to the lenstip images.
Can it be that this new zoom design by linear motors is a step to new optical designs? To my understanding you can move optical groups independently with it which could enables designs which was not possible before.
I read lately about Sony and advanced glass manufacturing techniques.... it seems starting to show
(03-25-2022, 09:54 AM)marco Wrote: Can it be that this new zoom design by linear motors is a step to new optical designs? To my understanding you can move optical groups independently with it which could enables designs which was not possible before.

Independently of what? Groups have been moved "independantly" of other groups the last few decades...
(03-26-2022, 06:57 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 09:54 AM)marco Wrote: Can it be that this new zoom design by linear motors is a step to new optical designs? To my understanding you can move optical groups independently with it which could enables designs which was not possible before.

Independently of what? Groups have been moved "independently" of other groups the last few decades...

Yes, but this lens has six linear motors in it and only two are used for AF... 

...... and yes, the cam system has the ability to move elements around according to FL .. distance etc. ....... however, it is limited by the constraints of mechanical possibilities as well weight, practicality and cost, which no doubt impose compromises .....
  Here, with this new Sony system you don't have the same limitations ....... the electronics tell the motors where to go and they go there ...... each situation has it's own element spacing no matter how small the movements and may well allow for more groups with less elements thus better compensation ..... something that would be quite a mechanic task using cams ....... not to mention mechanical play from new and wear from usage.
  ......  perhaps this explains why the lens has almost no focus breathing, is light, affordable and sharp everywhere, at all apertures, despite native 10% WA distortion which even when corrected, keeps that sharpness into the corners!

Whatever, it's another case of  ........ Sony does it again !!

I'll add a PS here ....... this system could also allow the possibility of updating a lens's FW and allowing the lens to operate in a different manner such as bokeh defocus or other.