Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new RF reviews coming up
Just as a heads up - I've just rented the
* RF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM L IS
* RF 50mm f/1.2 USM L 

The reviews should be up within the next 2 weeks then.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
You think that you need to rent forklift as well.
Yes, today the Asahi SMC Takumar 105mm f/2.8 came in.
It's an unfair comparison but I reckon that it's maybe 1/3 of the size of the RF 100mm f/2.8.
Ok, it's an unfair comparison on multiple levels but still - we are living in an era of super-sizing everything.

I would love to see what the oldies can produce here at OL. Back PZ days many of them help up well - Voigtlander and Minolta.

Which camera will you use for these.
I was considering using the R5 but I reckon I'll continue with the A7R II/III

50mmf1.2 as far as I remember will be a retest as it was already tested on EOS-R
Ahhh, gooood point, Toni! :-) I forgot

So it'll just be the RF 100 macro (and the Sony FE 14mm GM).

(05-11-2022, 04:36 AM)Klaus Wrote: Yes, today the Asahi SMC Takumar 105mm f/2.8 came in.
It's an unfair comparison but I reckon that it's maybe 1/3 of the size of the RF 100mm f/2.8.
Ok, it's an unfair comparison on multiple levels but still - we are living in an era of super-sizing everything.

Interesting. Back in the mid-1970s I owned an SMC Takumar 105 F/2.8, when I still shot M42-cameras (switched to K-bayonet in 1977 or thereabouts). It was my favourite lens for quite a long time, although I only had 4 lenses back then (35 mm, 50 mm, 105 mm and 135 mm).

Used it a lot for portraiture, candids, and landscapes. Replaced it with the SMC Pentax 100 F/4 when I switched to K-bayonet, but it wasn't really the same, even though that one was really great for the macro work I did a lot back then (micro-fossils, insects, wild flowers etc.).
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(05-12-2022, 03:53 AM)Klaus Wrote: Ahhh, gooood point, Toni! :-) I forgot

So it'll just be the RF 100 macro (and the Sony FE 14mm GM).

I thought there'd be a retest of the 50/1.2 on R5?
Nah, I won't do re-testing until I've reviewed what's there.