Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony 28mmf2.0 or Samyang 35mmf2.8 ?
I am considering getting a standard  prime lens for my daughter Sony A 6000
this will help her learn about focal lengths as she will be using 16 and 35mm swapping between them .
On APS-C both should be fine anyway better than 16f2.8 which is rather poor.
28mmf2.0 has obvious advantages except for size  
both are listed used for close price 
which one should I get here ?

BTW her 3 year old  brother is doing extremely well with Olympus TG5 although he never used the zoom function.
Yesterday,  my wife told me he was asking her to bring me a new big camera for my birthday Big Grin 
He noticed I love cameras
There are several good options in this vicinity. The Sony 28mm f/2 is not the best (although it should be fine on APS-C), but it's always the question of how much you'd like to invest.

If it's about learning - why not the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - which provides speed on top of the focal length?

Samyangs are a gamble in terms of QC, IMHO. I'd rather prefer the Viltrox 28mm f/1.8 in comparison.

If you are thinking of a more long-term investment, the Sony 40mm f/2.5 G may be worth a thought.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I know the lens won't live long, understandably a 6 year old is still a baby and will eventually break it long before I get Sony full frame... the two priorities are build quality and tolerance towards drops, then come size and weight.
Was considering the Samyang for the size and a pancake should be harder to break than a longer lens, then I read about Sony build quality being decent and it's not much larger.
In this case it's pointless to buy new and invest big money, the clear intention is training my daughter to take photos and do decent compositions.
Well, the Sigma is cheap n cheerful.

(09-27-2023, 10:57 AM)Klaus Wrote: Well, the Sigma is cheap n cheerful.

The samyang was sold, remains Sony28mmf2.0 it's really cheap (100EUR) will check condition, and keep an eye on Sigma 30mmf1.4 if anyone is going to pop up.
Lately all the ones listed were at least double the price of Sony.... Qatar is a tiny country with a very small market, products that have low demand tend to sell dirt cheap...
I guess it's one of the rare places in the world where you could have two identical products with more than 50% price difference.
Nissan Xtrail has a clone called Renault Koleos, sharing the same guts (engine, gearbox, suspension etc ) with minor esthetic changes, on the used market usually a Nissan X trail with identical specs is at least 50% more expensive !!!
Small market ... tell me. I just sold my Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 for 800AUD (500USD) - took 2 months.

We agreed everything on the phone and I went to pick up 28f2 from seller, however it wasn't in mint condition, I asked to try it for one day, with money back option. He started trying to play smart, I immediately cut discussion short and decided to leave regardless of what had to offer, would you buy from someone you don't trust ?