Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A7R V - 8 f-stop IBIS?
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/confirme...ng-screen/

Hard to believe.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Given the small lens mount and the ease with which with little mount can hide the corners of the sensor ........ I have to ask three questions ....

1. is there a crop to achieve this in the case of video/stills ? 

2. for stills (where a crop would be a compromise and would better not being used), .......... what is the maximum focal length that can accommodate this 8 stop facility?

3. could this 8 stop capable IBIS only be effective with wide angle lenses?

Obviously Sony's claim must be based on facts ....... it's just establishing exactly what they are !!
Hi Dave,

I would speculate that 8 stop will work up to 50mm. I can tell you that using A7 r3 with lenses above 100mm its like there is no shake reduction at all. There might be a threshold at what point IBIS wont be effective in general. Now that we see computational photography used more and more in dedicated cameras I won't be surprised if the crop factor is applied in the process. I hope this feature is activated by choice instead of being default setting.
(10-19-2022, 05:16 PM)borisbg Wrote: Hi Dave,

I would speculate that 8 stop will work up to 50mm. I can tell you that using A7 r3 with lenses above 100mm its like there is no shake reduction at all. There might be a threshold at what point IBIS wont be effective in general. Now that we see computational photography used more and more in dedicated cameras I won't be surprised if the crop factor is applied in the process. I hope this feature is activated by choice instead of being default setting.

Yeah, not bad, but it's it's a bit of an irony really, you can have a ton of stabilization at shorter FLs where you need it less, however for video it should be well appreciated ...... my guess is they have to throttle the IBIS back at longer FLs to prevent ludicrous amounts of sensor movement ....... it's probably to next to zero at 600mm
Latest rumours are about pixel shifting. I suppose next rumor will be about time travelling, so if you get a wrong shot the camera allows you to redo it.

Seriously... Yes, I understand your point about the fact that we need less stability with shorter focal lenghts. But I see that some landscape photographers are happy to be able to hand-held wide angles at 1/15 sec. and perhaps one stop slower without tripod.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(10-19-2022, 05:16 PM)borisbg Wrote: Hi Dave,

I remember, the IBIS efficiency is also zero in RF mount when using the RF 600/800 f/11.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It's been announced. DPR have a good breakdown on the new things coming with it. There are some good upgrades (view finder, wifi, focus stacking...), except the price.
I would assume that cropped 1.24 video capture will help the 8 stop shake reduction claim.
I hope Sony will release an update for older cameras to take advantage of the focus stacking.