Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPReview is closing... And no it's not April's joke
Odd; I was under the impression that the number of actual professional review sites has, conversely, decreased.
I meant 20, including Youtubers.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(04-09-2023, 09:52 PM)Rover Wrote: Odd; I was under the impression that the number of actual professional review sites has, conversely, decreased.

So today's the last day for DPreviews!

With such a plethora of new ML lens releases, written review sites can only review a small proportion of them ...... small wonder the market is left wide open to those who wish to try their hand at utube video reviews ....... most are worthless or very brand biased, but a few do show the additional benefits of aspects of a lens which cannot be conveyed by text and still images alone, such as focus breathing, flare and bokeh etc (in many situations) .... notably "Christopher Frost photography"  adopted a simple standard format that covers more or less all aspects of a lens's performance albeit in a less technical fashion ..... 
 ..... in not too many years lens road maps will be more or less complete ...... then what?
I keep being hopeful someone will purchase dpreview and take it private - of course amazon would have to be willing to sell and the staff would have to still be available. Kind of crappy when these large companies buy properties (and amazon isn't the only one); only to figure out it doesn't fit their model and then shut them down.
Yeah, Phil Askey must be now facepalming like it's going out of style at seeing this debacle.
You can follow Phil on Musk's recently aquired cash burning platform. He was obviously as shocked about the news as anybody else. However, looking at his feed, he mostly gives the impression of a wealthy but grumpy man.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-12-2023, 06:56 AM)mst Wrote: You can follow Phil on Musk's recently aquired cash burning platform. He was obviously as shocked about the news as anybody else. However, looking at his feed, he mostly gives the impression of a wealthy but grumpy man.

DPR site is still running ..... maybe users threatening to boycott Amazon has cause a change of heart from them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0JUxLfsdVI

5 mins 30 secs into video
Not really a change of heart, but a delay in the closure. But yes, some change at least, likely due to public pressure: the site will remain available as an archive.

See here:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0507902613...-an-update

Meanwhile I received the requested user content from dpr. I wasn't aware that I created my account a tad more than 20 years ago. Time flies...
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-19-2023, 09:51 PM)mst Wrote: Not really a change of heart, but a delay in the closure. But yes, some change at least, likely due to public pressure: the site will remain available as an archive.

See here:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0507902613...-an-update

Meanwhile I received  the requested user content from dpr. I wasn't aware that I created my account a tad more than 20 years ago. Time flies...

Hi Marcus ..

I'd read the update, it's now a week old ...... (backdate) 

Time goes even quicker when you're an old fart ... Smile
Somehow it's still alive two weeks after the original expiration date. I hope it's still safe to consume :-)