Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meike to announce an AF 85mm f/1.4
https://photorumors.com/2023/04/17/meike...-z-l-x-rf/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It's for RF mount too !!! that's the first third party autofocus lens in RF mount.
Let's see what Canon lawyers will think about that
It's not the first; Samyangs came (and went) before. Hence our knowledge about Canon being less than enamoured with the prospect of sharing the space with anyone else.

Yesterday I almost dissuaded a colleague from continuing with Canon when he turned to me for advice. He still decided to go EOS-m plus adapters in the end, it seems. :-)
(04-18-2023, 07:02 PM)Rover Wrote: It's not the first; Samyangs came (and went) before. Hence our knowledge about Canon being less than enamoured with the prospect of sharing the space with anyone else.

Yesterday I almost dissuaded a colleague from continuing with Canon when he turned to me for advice. He still decided to go EOS-m plus adapters in the end, it seems. :-)

Frankly I tried Sony A6000 in the past and was rather disappointed...even with adapted Canon lenses didn't like the colors, photos need much more editing to look really nice, with Canon it's much much easier especially when it comes to skin tones, had an experience with Fuji compact XP90 good, but Canon Ixus was by far superior.
Used once Nikon D7100, it was the same issue as Sony when it comes to skin tones, I afgree it was a one time shooting and lighting wasn't ideal however photos taken with 750D in the same conditions were much better.
Tried a panasonic compact with MFT sensor, better than Nikon, way better than Sony but still was not convinced
(04-18-2023, 07:54 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 07:02 PM)Rover Wrote: It's not the first; Samyangs came (and went) before. Hence our knowledge about Canon being less than enamoured with the prospect of sharing the space with anyone else.

Frankly I tried Sony A6000 in the past and was rather disappointed...even with adapted Canon lenses didn't like the colors, photos need much more editing to look really nice, with Canon it's much much easier especially when it comes to skin tones, had an experience with Fuji compact XP90 good, but Canon Ixus was by far superior.
Used once Nikon D7100, it was the same issue as Sony when it comes to skin tones, I afgree it was a one time shooting and lighting wasn't ideal however photos taken with 750D in the same conditions were much better.
Tried a panasonic compact with MFT sensor, better than Nikon, way better than Sony but still was not convinced
For MFT you should try an Olympus body, oh, sorry, OM-body. Colours and look is very similar to Canon. It is why I stuck with MFT for a small camera setup, with Canon for a FF setup. I just like the rendering these combinations provide, more than any other camera setup, and I have tried most of them.

IMO, that is nonsense.

You can always use Canon EF lenses with an adapter, even AF, and that works extremely well. If someone prefers Canon, that should never be a problem, although personally I would have advised against an EOS-M except maybe for size and cost. Even so, an R10 would probably have been a better option in that case.

Personally, I do not like 3rd party lenses, although I make an exception currently for Samyang - I own an UWA Samyang 10 mm F/3.5 XT which is a manual lens, and which I use with adapter on my EOS R, to great satisfaction.

If you're not in a hurry, lenses with 3rd party RF AF mounts will appear, and 3rd party RF manual lenses are available already.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(04-19-2023, 05:03 PM)wim Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 07:54 PM)toni-a Wrote:

For MFT you should try an Olympus body, oh, sorry, OM-body. Colours and look is very similar to Canon. It is why I stuck with MFT for a small camera setup, with Canon for a FF setup. I just like the rendering these combinations provide, more than any other camera setup, and I have tried most of them.

IMO, that is nonsense.

You can always use Canon EF lenses with an adapter, even AF, and that works extremely well. If someone prefers Canon, that should never be a problem, although personally I would have advised against an EOS-M except maybe for size and cost. Even so, an R10 would probably have been a better option in that case.

Personally, I do not like 3rd party lenses, although I make an exception currently for Samyang - I own an UWA Samyang 10 mm F/3.5 XT which is a manual lens, and which I use with adapter on my EOS R, to great satisfaction.

If you're not in a hurry, lenses with 3rd party RF AF mounts will appear, and 3rd party RF manual lenses are available already.

I would have given Olympus a try surely, only problem not available in Lebanon nor in Qatar so I have to rely on the  used market, even at the used market offer is very limited and they are hard to find without forgetting that it will be a nightmare if even spare parts are needed.... but yes a compact camera body would be welcome unless canon finally release the leaked 20-40f4 pancake

As for EOS-M their prices on the used market are very very attractive now so M50 for less that 400 EUR  why not ?
He wanted something that would be shooting 4K video so he had his eye on M50 Mark II. I pointed out that something like the 90D also does 4K. He still seemed okay with the M50 even though I pointed out that as a system, EOS-M is dying. But all he wants is adapting his existing EF lenses - and if you're using adapters anyway, how much does it matter what you adapt your lenses to... as long as it's working well? I crossed out the RF system on principle when choosing something to move to. Not regretting it one bit, especially since the ergonomics (e.g. the button placement that has been standardized on Canon bodies for more that a decade) has changed anyway, and I can't follow their design decisions anymore.
(04-19-2023, 06:04 PM)toni-a Wrote: I would have given Olympus a try surely, only problem not available in Lebanon nor in Qatar so I have to rely on the  used market, even at the used market offer is very limited and they are hard to find without forgetting that it will be a nightmare if even spare parts are needed.... but yes a compact camera body would be welcome unless canon finally release the leaked 20-40f4 pancake

As for EOS-M their prices on the used market are very very attractive now so M50 for less that 400 EUR  why not ?
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the availability in your area, and for the price, indeed, why not.

Kind regards, Wim

(04-19-2023, 07:27 PM)Rover Wrote: He wanted something that would be shooting 4K video so he had his eye on M50 Mark II. I pointed out that something like the 90D also does 4K. He still seemed okay with the M50 even though I pointed out that as a system, EOS-M is dying. But all he wants is adapting his existing EF lenses - and if you're using adapters anyway, how much does it matter what you adapt your lenses to... as long as it's working well? I crossed out the RF system on principle when choosing something to move to. Not regretting it one bit, especially since the ergonomics (e.g. the button placement that has been standardized on Canon bodies for move that a decade) has changed anyway, and I can't follow their design decisions anymore.
Yes, and using a Canon lens and Canon adapter it is likely to work better and more reliably than with anything else.

As to design decisions, I don;t see any problem with that on the Canon bodies. They experimented a little bit, mostly on de EOS R, but that is not a problem.
What I really like about the R-bodies vs the dslrs, is that, for me, using a battery grip is actually comfortable with the bigger land heavier enses. That was never the case for me with the dslr-bodies.
Other than that, UI-design and handling to me is very similar and comfortable.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....