Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any reliable source for photo printers review ?
(04-12-2023, 02:52 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: First printed sample bad... Ok for the paper and detail, but colors are definitely off: too warm. And of course I used the provided color profile.
Monday a new sample for another print service...

I must have missed something SD ..... what printer are you talking about?
Not a printer, a printing service.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(04-12-2023, 05:20 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: Not a printer, a printing service.

Ok right ... a human printer Smile
(04-12-2023, 02:52 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: First printed sample bad... Ok for the paper and detail, but colors are definitely off: too warm. And of course I used the provided color profile.

Is your screen calibrated ? most often with time screen colors tend to become  on the cooler side if no recalibration is  done, to see color accurate you push warmth, they print what they had.
Second eventuality is wrong color profile used : normally I send photos for printing in RGB or even sRGB profile to avoid them doing unexpected things for color profile  mismaatch, normally they set photoshop or whatever printing software on sRGB or Adobe RGB not a custom profile, and when they have color profile   mismatch warning they can either convert to working color space or use provided color space instead and here you might have issues . just send in sRGB or RGB and see f things go well
(04-13-2023, 08:59 AM)toni-a Wrote: stoppingdown

just send in sRGB or RGB and see f things go well

I agree with Tony here. The best and most consistent results are when I just send sRGB.
Yes, my screen is calibrated. I understand that most consistent results might be achieved with sRGB, but I find this is unacceptable: any serious printing service must properly work with AdobeRGB (at a minimum: for professionals I'd expect wider profiles should be supported).

In any case, the first printing service mandates that you submit photos with the specific profile they provide for each kind of paper, so I just followed their instructions.

In the meantime samples arrived from a second photo service. Just a tad better, but still unacceptable. It's quite clear that I need to manually correct something (for instance they publish with warmer tones); to tell the truth I expected that I had something to manually correct for what concerns the overall luminosity, for the obvious reason that it greatly depends on the conditions in which you look at printed paper.
The problem now is how to apply corrections in batch mode, as I don't think Capture One supports this feature (I remember that Lightroom did).
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
(04-16-2023, 08:53 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: Yes, my screen is calibrated. I understand that most consistent results might be achieved with sRGB, but I find this is unacceptable: any serious printing service must properly work with AdobeRGB (at a minimum: for professionals I'd expect wider profiles should be supported).

In any case, the first printing service mandates that you submit photos with the specific profile they provide for each kind of paper, so I just followed their instructions.

In the meantime samples arrived from a second photo service. Just a tad better, but still unacceptable. It's quite clear that I need to manually correct something (for instance they publish with warmer tones); to tell the truth I expected that I had something to manually correct for what concerns the overall luminosity, for the obvious reason that it greatly depends on the conditions in which you look at printed paper.
The problem now is how to apply corrections in batch mode, as I don't think Capture One supports this feature (I remember that Lightroom did).

In that case, all you ahevto do is call the printing service and ask them not to correct your photos, this happened to me before, wedding photographers shoot in bulk in JPG then they rely on the lab for corrections as do many others, if you ask them not to " correct" your pictures this might solve your issue
At least for the second print service, there is an option in the web form for enabling/disabling optimisation... and of course it was off.
stoppingdown.net

I didn't get really good results at the lab until I started printing myself there.
There's a guy on the printing machine which has only a few buttons that change colors, they are used to them since film days, and it's really hard to keep them from manipulating your photos....at least this is what happened with me , just make a call and ask them to not edit your photos whatsoever even of they don't look good and insist " don't even rescue really bad ones"
(04-16-2023, 08:53 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: The problem now is how to apply corrections in batch mode, as I don't think Capture One supports this feature (I remember that Lightroom did).

The easiest way to do so would be with styles. Adjust the corrections to your liking with one image, then create a style from that image. You can pick which corrections should be part of the image style.

Once created, select multiple images and apply that image style to them.
Editor
opticallimits.com