Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
While Dpreview is still limping, suddenly imaging resource went away.
Here are the insights:

https://petapixel.com/2023/05/08/imaging...its-doors/

https://petapixel.com/2023/05/10/imaging...ly-demise/

Chris Niccolls seems to have made it to Petapixel:

https://petapixel.com/author/chrisniccolls/
enjoy
I find it strange that Chris/Jordon chose to go under the umbrella of Petapixel instead of going solo (duo).
Maybe they want to partially morph into "true" journalism (writing) instead of being Youtubers only - but does that (journalism) even matter anymore?
Anyway - I'm sure that they'll find their place.

It'll be interesting to see where "photojournalism" will trend towards. Most articles are merely some high-level bla-blurb. And that's the first meal that AIs can have for lunch.

e.g. ChatGPT "Write an article about the Canon EOS R5" - that's about as good as 90% of the online articles already.

Canon's EOS R5 is a highly anticipated full-frame mirrorless camera that promises to deliver impressive performance for photographers and videographers alike. With its advanced autofocus, high-resolution sensor, and 8K video capabilities, the Canon EOS R5 is poised to be a game-changer in the world of mirrorless cameras. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the Canon EOS R5 and what it has to offer.

Sensor and Resolution

The Canon EOS R5 features a 45-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor that promises to deliver stunning image quality. The sensor is paired with Canon's DIGIC X image processor, which enables the camera to shoot up to 20 frames per second with the electronic shutter and up to 12 frames per second with the mechanical shutter. This combination of sensor and processor makes the EOS R5 a versatile camera that can handle a wide range of shooting scenarios.

Autofocus

One of the standout features of the EOS R5 is its advanced autofocus system. The camera features 1053 autofocus points that cover almost the entire frame, making it easy to focus on even the smallest details. The autofocus system is also capable of tracking moving subjects with precision and accuracy, making it an ideal camera for wildlife and sports photography.

Video

The Canon EOS R5 is also a highly capable video camera, with the ability to shoot 8K video at 30 frames per second or 4K video at up to 120 frames per second. The camera also features advanced video features such as Canon Log, which provides a wide dynamic range for improved color grading in post-production. Additionally, the EOS R5 features a 5-axis image stabilization system that helps to reduce camera shake during video recording.

Design and Build Quality

The Canon EOS R5 has a sleek and modern design, with a weather-sealed body that is built to withstand tough shooting conditions. The camera features a large and bright electronic viewfinder, as well as a fully articulating LCD screen that makes it easy to shoot from a variety of angles. The camera also features dual card slots, which support both CFexpress and SD cards for maximum flexibility.

Conclusion

Overall, the Canon EOS R5 is an impressive camera that offers advanced features and capabilities for both photographers and videographers. With its high-resolution sensor, advanced autofocus, and 8K video capabilities, the EOS R5 is poised to be a top-performing camera in the mirrorless market. If you're in the market for a versatile and high-performance camera, the Canon EOS R5 is definitely worth considering.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
That is not journalism... That is a PR text Canon would send to stores and what it.

Yeah, if I had been a PR copywriter, I would've been mighty afraid by now (and would've started looking for a different way to earn my bread, like, yesterday ...)
(05-11-2023, 09:16 PM)Klaus Wrote: I find it strange that Chris/Jordon chose to go under the umbrella of Petapixel instead of going solo (duo).
   Maybe it's because they are family folk and are used to having a job and going home with few worries ......

Tony and Chelsea Northrup make a good living by being photographers, authors/publishers, reviewers/ utubers and as such have many fingers in many pies .......

Chris/Jordon are basically presenters . 

how much money is now out there in photo-journalism  spread amongst  low budget utubers and the like ??
It seems IR is back now in a frozen/static state.  Last post seems to be 18th April or so. 

A week ago or so, when it was still linking to the outdoorphotographer contents, there was a banner, soliciting emails to buy the contents of their photography related archives, including outdoorphotographer.   So something seems to be going on.   It seems the new owner realised that there is (might be?) some value to it, but where the train is going is not clear me.  Perhaps it is not clear to anyone Wink

I am wondering whether there are similar considerations behind dpreview.   They are still limping on somehow.  The messages and updates to the closure are not as easy to find any more.  At least when I connect to their front page it is not shown any more.  I am also wondering whether something is going on behind the scenes ...
enjoy
A common issue I see in Qatar: they have money, they need to invest, they don't always do the smartest investment solutions....
Let's pay a few millions for this website...cool idea...then great we bought the website,...... uuuhhh what should we do with it ??
Can we get them to buy out DPR now? Smile
In all seriousness, I feel that DPR is damaged goods by now... after the news of the shuttering, many of the employees have quit, and I imagine the user base has shrunk because many people have bailed, and the reduced amount of content has also led to the loss of interest. I kind of know this because the media I've been working at has suffered a pretty similar fate. Sad
(06-06-2023, 02:01 PM)Rover Wrote: Can we get them to buy out DPR now? Smile
In all seriousness, I feel that DPR is damaged goods by now... after the news of the shuttering, many of the employees have quit, and I imagine the user base has shrunk because many people have bailed, and the reduced amount of content has also led to the loss of interest. I kind of know this because the media I've been working at has suffered a pretty similar fate. Sad

I read what you wrote.   Though in this case, if action comes quickly I could see them survive.  What is their competition?  Which website have readers turned to?
enjoy
The latest twist on IR: https://petapixel.com/2023/06/14/bebop-f...site-sale/
enjoy
(06-07-2023, 02:02 PM)joachim Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 02:01 PM)Rover Wrote: Can we get them to buy out DPR now? Smile

I read what you wrote.   Though in this case, if action comes quickly I could see them survive.  What is their competition?  Which website have readers turned to?
So you were quite clairvoyant on this one. Smile Let's hope DPReview continues. IR though...? Time will tell.