Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening a can of worms..formats and lenses equivalence
If you had posted that earlier, Toni-A, you would have saved Klaus some work.  Big Grin

At 2014, all was said, including the stuff he avoided like f1/4 remains f/1.4 in terms of shutter speed to aperture combination. And like the small hint, that all what is said is valid for cameras roughly around the same generation. A 2008 D3x at 24.5 MP is something different in terms of noise than a current D750 or a 20.8 MP D5 of 2016. As well as in terms of dynamic range which is just another part of the game.

I like also to quote Toshihisa Iida:
Quote:Some of the F2 and F2.8 lenses you’ve announced will give similar depth of field to F1.4 lenses on full-frame. At that point, what advantage is there to medium-format imaging?
By the numbers, depth of field might be similar, but we think that the actual images look different.
And it’s not just about depth of field. There’s wider dynamic range, and greater resolution and so on. Overall there’s a lot of benefit from using a medium-format sensor.

I think, the more I read about, the equivalencing game is a nice try to equalize out what can't be equalized beyond a certain degree. It's all and not only a couple of numbers. But nice to show off or argue around other more meaningful matters.

Messages In This Thread
Opening a can of worms..formats and lenses equivalence - by southerncross - 10-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Opening a can of worms..formats and lenses equivalence - by JJ_SO - 10-10-2016, 07:37 PM