Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon to approve 3rd party lenses for RF-mount
For al of you who prefer non-Canon lenses on Canon R-mount bodies:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/...case-basis

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I'll believe it when I see - say - Viltrox 16/1.8 in RF mount shipping and on the store shelves. Smile Though that probably still won't bowl me over to this system - that boat has sailed.
Licensing policy isn't very clear, however it seems they give a license for a specific lens, for instance Viltrox wants to sell Viltrox 16mmf1.8 in RF mount, they apply and might/might not get it and for this specific lens, for another lens they will have to go through the same process again.
It's not clear if Canon will give them the algorithm or not and it's not clear what would happen if Canon upgrades the autofocus algorithms, will they be automatically upgraded or at least get access to upgrades ?
Basically, they will only allow lenses that aren't in competition with their own offerings.

Which is quite pointless from a customer perspective. After all, customers want cheaper alternatives to their L-glass.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(08-25-2023, 12:05 AM)Klaus Wrote: Basically, they will only allow lenses that aren't in competition with their own offerings.

Which is quite pointless from a customer perspective. After all, customers want cheaper alternatives to their L-glass.

The rumored Meike 85mmf1.4 doesn't fit in this category, besides licensing lenses that don't have an equivalent in their lineup is an acknowledgment by Canon that they have a weak lineup and needs to be filled by third party, something they would never do

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-first-li...rom-meike/
"They may consider applications if it doesn't hurt their business" to me sounds extremely vague and NOT encouraging. So no reason to get any hopes up.
(08-26-2023, 01:32 PM)Rover Wrote: "They may consider applications if it doesn't hurt their business" to me sounds extremely vague and NOT encouraging. So no reason to get any hopes up.

Obviously, if they wanted to open their mount they would have already done it, for me although the camera body is RF I still use mostly EF lenses: widely available, affordable and made to last.
My last visit to the repairs shop at Canon Lebanon, the owner Tanios discouraged me against RF lenses: they tend to have problems way more frequently than their EF counterparts and the interiors are all made of fragile plastic, yes the lens becomes lighter since it's only metal from outside.
He said RF lenses owners should expect major damage needing very expensive repairs after minor accidents.
BTW Nikon Z lenses and Sony E lenses fall within the same spectrum of problems.
So for me, as long as it's working RF bodies with EF lenses, and since upgrades to camera bodies are quite minor, I don't see myself gaining anything from upgrades, so I am staying with RP for some time
It may be irrational but the RF system does have a dead end feeling for me. Not like the EF-M system, mind you, but not healthy as well, and I'm kind of surprised that many people embrace it.

I'll also stay with my EF gear, though two items will have to go (still can't find the heart to put them up for sale, even though I need money).