•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuji GFX 50 S medium format
The most impressive part of the announcement to me was how they were able to keep all the details of the system to themselves until the launch. Normally Fujifilm leaks a ton of stuff before launch, probably on purpose, so both existing and potential customers are able to foresee a bit into the future. Just do a bit of research and you'd be able to see X-T2 was coming in with a 24MP sensor and weird battery grip, eg. 

About the camera(and the system of course), I'm really surprised that it doesn't have a leaf shutter, at least in some of the lenses. Fuji definitely knows how to build leaf shutter lenses (most probably more so than any other company) but I really can't understand how they left it out on this one. I'd expect at least one on the roadmap.

Otherwise I like the camera. I don't think it's much more expensive than other serious offerings and it even looks good. Looks like it might even have a bit of space inside it for a slightly larger sensor, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 54x40mm sensor in there somewhere one day.

I'd be much happier to see the Hasselblad's concept announcement to see the daylight though.

Or you know, just a 6x6 digital back for my 500C/M would do. Not that I'm not happy shooting film, but I'd simply ditch every other digital camera I have if I had such a back and buy a X100T for lightweight and use the HB for pretty much everything else.

The lack of ls lenses was a bit of a surprise.

At launch it will have the normal lens, one standard zoom which starts at a really wide angle and one medium tele/macro. Fast portrait lens and ultrawide prime coming in in a few months and 35mm equivalent before the end of year. That's much better and faster than most systems start with.

I would think long term the shutter would be replaced with an electronic one as technology improves. Would this not alleviate the need for a leaf shutter ?

I'm not surprise about the lack of IS lenses. They might arrive but none of fuji wide angle/short tele have is.

Quote:... to see X-T2 was coming in with a 24MP sensor and weird battery grip, eg. 
Can you elaborate what you find weird with the grip?

I have/had 4 Nikon grips. None of them was even closely as versatile as Fuji's X-T2 model, at an extremely reasonabkle price.

There's
  • a booster mode,
  • a charger/AC-Adapter coming with the grip including a LED for each battery on the grip
  • space for two batteries
  • headphone socket
  • a bigger grip for the camera
  • a full set of all needed buttons with the same feel (Nikon grips feel usually cheaper)
And on top of that, the grip has no play (also unlike Nikon) and doesn't wobble on a tripod. I wished, Nikon accessories would be such a good value like this Fuji grip, but I'm still curious about that "weridness"  Smile

For all the guys missing the lens line-up or considering Fuji's secrecy as very good: True, fujirumors always talked about 1 zoom, two primes, and now they show 6 lenses, but as you said, obican, at launch 3 are available.

If I'd want to go in higher pixel count, I really would be tempted.

Taking the diagonal as reference, the Fuji GFX will have a  0.8 crop factor compared to FF. The standard zoom won't be thaaaat wide: 26-51mm f3.2 FF equivalent. The normal prime will be a 50mm f2.2 FF equivalent, and the macro a 96mm f3.2 FF equivalent. 

Quote:I would think long term the shutter would be replaced with an electronic one as technology improves. Would this not alleviate the need for a leaf shutter ?

I'm not surprise about the lack of IS lenses. They might arrive but none of fuji wide angle/short tele have is.

You don't only need an electronic shutter, you need a global electronic shutter to do that, so we're not quite there yet.

Quote:Can you elaborate what you find weird with the grip?

I meant weird as in unusual in a good way (boost mode and all), not anything bad. I quite like the grip actually. I also have to mention how much I liked how they changed the behavior of shutter speed dials in a patch for X-T1 some time ago so that you can change the shutter speed with the grip in portrait orientation. Shows how much Fuji really cares about their customers, such small details.

Quote:Taking the diagonal as reference, the Fuji GFX will have a  0.8 crop factor compared to FF. The standard zoom won't be thaaaat wide: 26-51mm f3.2 FF equivalent. The normal prime will be a 50mm f2.2 FF equivalent, and the macro a 96mm f3.2 FF equivalent. 

I thought it was something like a 24-50 equivalent. Still, it's wider than 28-85ish zooms most cameras come with. I'd probably be perfectly happy with a good 24-50/2.8 but knowing myself, I'd probably go crying back to my primes three days later.
Quote:There's
  • a booster mode,
  • a charger/AC-Adapter coming with the grip including a LED for each battery on the grip
  • space for two batteries
  • headphone socket
  • a bigger grip for the camera
  • a full set of all needed buttons with the same feel (Nikon grips feel usually cheaper)

In addition to my reply above, I have to add that I didn't know about some of these details. 

Booster mode: Knew about that and I think it's quite a good idea.

Charger/AC and LEDs: Knew about the adapter, didn't know about the LEDs and again, pretty good idea.

Space for two batteries: How every grip should be! Removing/attaching the grip on my A7 is more of a chore as you need to remove/reattach the battery door, you have to put a battery back into the body etc. This is much faster.

Headphone socket: Don't really care about this one.

Bigger grip: Obviously. 

Buttons with same feel: This is also important and I'm surprised how many companies don't get it. On my (Meike) grip the buttons are actually fine except for the shutter release, which I find inferior and completely different. The one on the body has a much smoother and deeper travel.
Since you need the booster mode for 4K video or for longer video time in general, it makes sense to me to give the grip a headphone socket. They even provide an adapter cable to another headphone type.

And the battery in the body can be charged by USB, so no need to remove the grip ever.

"Bigger grip" is not obviously for me, the little part which blows up the camera's main grip makes a bit of a difference.

The AC-adapter as part of the grip makes it an even better offer. This kind of stuff is expensive at Nikon's. And on top of it, I need an adapter hwich goes in the battery holder instead of the battery, so a lot ado before ready to shoot with AC power.

And still, the whole unit (grip and body) is much better to hold and I think, also lighter than a Nikon D7x00 + MD whatever.

Quote:Since you need the booster mode for 4K video or for longer video time in general, it makes sense to me to give the grip a headphone socket. They even provide an adapter cable to another headphone type.

And the battery in the body can be charged by USB, so no need to remove the grip ever.

"Bigger grip" is not obviously for me, the little part which blows up the camera's main grip makes a bit of a difference.

The AC-adapter as part of the grip makes it an even better offer. This kind of stuff is expensive at Nikon's. And on top of it, I need an adapter hwich goes in the battery holder instead of the battery, so a lot ado before ready to shoot with AC power.

And still, the whole unit (grip and body) is much better to hold and I think, also lighter than a Nikon D7x00 + MD whatever.

And in the Sony camp, we have no way of running AC power/USB tethering/RF remote control at the same time since they use the same Multi Interface micro USB port. You can use the Meike battery which has a built in RF remote which is pretty useful and some third party adapters go into the battery socket to make the camera run on AC power, but still you can't have them both at the same time.

Third party, saving Sony products since... whatever.

Edit: If you also have the LA-EA4 adapter, you can't really use its tripod socket if you have the grip. I put a L bracket on the LA-EA4 and use the side of it to mount the camera on a tripod with heavy lenses. It's hilarious especially with a flash trigger on top. 

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next