•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuji GFX 50 S medium format
Hmmm... That seems a bit problematic, with a sensor without global electronic shutter?

I wonder if adapted lenses with shutter can have their shutter activated by this camera.

I posted a link on the previous page where they talk about leaf shutter lenses, maybe even possible adapters for Hasselblad's H series lenses. Btw, there is also an adapter for using V series lenses on H series bodies which activates and cocks the shutter when needed.

Edit:

This link  says otherwise

Quote: 

• GFX is equipped to support leaf shutter lenses. Fuji has no current plans to release leaf shutter lenses or adapters, but will release the specs to support other manufacturers to do so.
So it has a focal plane shutter, according to that video. That makes sense.

Some pretty rad stuff - I kinda feel this, even though in reality the medium format seems like Greek to me. Big Grin

I am not yet getting the appeal of the Fuji and Hasselblad MF, seeing the smaller aperture lenses.

110/2.0 is equivalent in terms of DoF to 88/1.6 ( × 0.8 crop) - you're more dedicated to this computing than I am...

I see just a nice portrait lens and no much better offerings around at FF. And a 25/2.0 for a little bigger than FF is not impossible, I think- but I'm not hoping for it.

Fuji is very good at wide open lenses, I already have f/1.2 and f/1.4 for dark moments; although in APS-C, but it's no big difference to FF (at least on DSLR with the usual AF troubles.

Maybe I try some side by side comparisons. I'm just afraid, the Nikkor 85/1.4 G will not hold well against it's Fuji colleague.  Big Grin

That is just it, the fastest lens is a f1.6 FF equivalent. In my opinion, the only real reason for FF over other smaller formats is a possible more shallow DOF. So, that then also goes for MF, the only real reason would then be possible more shallow DOF. Equivalence and all.

So I do not see the attractiveness of MF here, a FF DSLR with a Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.2 L or Tamron 85mm f1.8 VC is much more affordable and gives more DOF options.

Then there are the various 50mm f1.2/1/4 options for 135 format, the 105mm f1.4 Nikkor, the 135mm f1.8/2 options, 200mm f2's, and even the 20mm f1.4 from Sigma. 

And for those who are not shallow DOF adepts, APS-C and MFT are just fine.

For those who need single shot high resolution, FF has caught up to these 50mp MF sensors, with Canon's 50mp and Sony's 42mp sensors.

That is why I don't totally get the excitement, other than it being cool gear all on its own.

DOF is definitely not the main reason. A photographer like Ming Thein for instance, choses MF over FF because of the pixel quality and resolution he gets from MF. Higher DR, better tonal response, etc. and also higher resolution. Although a Canon 5DS might have a 50MP sensor, few (if any?) lenses can resolve it, especially across the frame.

The 50MP MF Fuji will very likely have lenses taking advantage of the body's resolution. In terms of resolution the Canon and Fuji won't be even close.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:DOF is definitely not the main reason. A photographer like Ming Thein for instance, choses MF over FF because of the pixel quality and resolution he gets from MF. Higher DR, better tonal response, etc. and also higher resolution. Although a Canon 5DS might have a 50MP sensor, few (if any?) lenses can resolve it, especially across the frame.

The 50MP MF Fuji will very likely have lenses taking advantage of the body's resolution. In terms of resolution the Canon and Fuji won't be even close.
The test images on dpreview already show that the 5DSR does fine resolution wise, compared to the Pentax for instance.
People claim better "pixel quality", which means better tonality, color transitions and such. I have no idea though, I haven't shot with a MF digital, ever. I do know however, with the right lens system, you can't really tell the difference between APS-C and FF if the both sensors are more or less from the same era, even in pixel level. Most of the difference people think comes from larger pixels might as well be coming from better A/D converters, 16 bit pipeline etc.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next