Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Zeiss ZE 85mm f1.4 seem attractive ?
Not for me, a friend is interested.

It's listed for 450$ quite afordable, however reading reviews I read it had focus shift, which should be a total killer for a manual focus lens with coupled aperture, it is worth getting over let's say Canon 85mm f1.8 ?

This lens is interesting for two things: 
  • Bokeh
  • Build/feel
The bokeh renders smoothly. If you (one) do (does) not plan to use the lens wide open, not sure why one would consider this particular lens? It is f1.4 for a reason.

So even if there would be some focus shift, one does not have to care about that.

The lens is not SHARP, but it is contrasty. The not tack sharpness should not matter, the contrast and tjhe shallow DOF make things look just fine.

The Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM is not as contrasty/punchy, and renders less smoothly. It excels in AF speed and it is mall and light in comparison.

So, that is the choice. For wide open shooting and bokeh, the Zeiss is the one to go for. Also as object of beauty. That is, if one can handle big aperture manual focus. I am quite ok with that (but I also use a 6D with Eg-S focus screen, I could even resort to trap focus with ML on the 6D, which is very accurate), but it is personal and depends also on the intended use of the lens (no moving subjects, timing is paramount).

For AF and speed and weight and size, the EF 85mm f1.8 USM can't be beat.

The person should base his/her choice on that.

I think it was replaced with an all-new Milvus for a good reason... Personally, the lens I would be looking at is the new Tamron 85/1.8.

And I would wait a couple of days or weeks to get the Sigma 85/1.4 Art. If I were trying to replace the wide open mediocre Nikkor 85/1.4 G, that is.  Big Grin

A Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art will be quite a bit more expensive than this 2nd hand Zeiss, though, and it is yet unknown how it will render bokeh?

Unknown, yes, but as Sigma goes very often preferrably to more sharpness, I have some expecations with low CA, high MTF but bokehwise maybe not the hottest shot.

Anyway, it is only to be suspected to come finally, but less known than bokeh-performance will be the moment it hits the shelves. However, I might not be the only one who doesn't accept a portrait lens without AF although I'm sure nobody needs it who is working in studio conditions. I only said "I would wait..."

Otherwise the tamron is a very tempting lens, too.

Quote: However, I might not be the only one who doesn't accept a portrait lens without AF although I'm sure nobody needs it who is working in studio conditions. I only said "I would wait...".
Totally agree here, not only you need AF you need a very precise AF and a relatively fast one.