Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma CINE lens series announced
Cine seems to be a big thing these days ... literally

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cine-lenses/

Seem the same as known Sigma line 24-35 f2 16-35f1.8 50-100f1.8, 20-24-34-50 and 85mm f1.4 lenses 

Except there's officially a 85/1.4 Art only as rumour and approxiamtely as long extected as the Nikon D400  B)

And no, they are NOT the same, I even think, there are optical differences although focal lengths are the same. Also, it's cool for videogrpahers to have the eent rings already mounted. I just don't get wjhy the primes need three?

Edit: Forget the last bit, confused a prime with a zoom. Well, qualitywise is no real difference...

Optical differences, JoJu? I looked at the 20mm f1.4 Art and the 20mm T1.5 Cine (and the 50mm f1,4 Art, and the 50mm T1.5 Cine), and they have exactly the same lens construction....

But the 85mm cine is not the same as the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM, so we are looking at the new 85mm f1.4 Art in cine guise.

You're right. They explain later the 100% equal optics and 100% new mechanics and electronics.

Also, they have mounts for RED, Arriflex and Blackmagic. I was mislead by the bulkiness of 18-35 i.e., all of them are fat barrels which need the tripod socket underneath.

Clever move, not only to focus on DSLR lenses.

The two APS-C zooms will be great for the new Canon 5D mk IV to shoot 4K video with.

Think so, too.

While I was talking before about weather sealing of Olympus:

Quote:Dust-proof and splash-proof construction

The lineup features the same dust-proof and splash-proof construction as the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM|Sports. With each ring and mount specially sealed to prevent water and dust from entering, this lens is ready for use in tough conditions. The unusually robust specification of the lineup allows the user to concentrate on shooting while significantly reducing the burden of maintenance.

100% metal body

The body is made completely of metal to stand up to tough professional use over the long term.

So, they can WR. If they just want  Big Grin
Quote:Optical differences, JoJu? I looked at the 20mm f1.4 Art and the 20mm T1.5 Cine (and the 50mm f1,4 Art, and the 50mm T1.5 Cine), and they have exactly the same lens construction....

But the 85mm cine is not the same as the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM, so we are looking at the new 85mm f1.4 Art in cine guise.
Since the primes are slated for next year (unless I'm grossly mistaken), that gives 'em enough time to release the 85/1.4 properly. I do hope that when it gets here, it turns out to be weather sealed. No sealing in the A series was an inexplicable omission (since the S series have it), and the one that painted these products in an unfavourable light compared to, oh say, the Canon L lenses (which are all sealed at least since 2001 - and the models introduced before that are getting more and more scarce).

Quote:The two APS-C zooms will be great for the new Canon 5D mk IV to shoot 4K video with.

That would be my opinion as well, since the 5D4 shoots 4K with a crop factor that even exceeds that of EF-S lenses.

Two things I doubt:

"Sigma will bring weather resistance like the massive one in Sports to the Art series."

"Sigma lenses are not tight enough to withstand a spray of rain."

My point is very clear - if a manufacturer like Pentax, Olympus, Sigma with Sports versions, Fuji with their WR-line not only claims but shows lenses with water or dust on it, I take it to be real, but otherwise I don't give a damn on the word "weather resistant". It reminds me far too much on the mark "water resistant" of an expensive Oris wristwatch, which was impossible to wear in summer or conditions with a little sweat involved. The glass was always filled with drops inside.

There are standards to approve electrical units - as long as camera manufacturers can refuse warranty cases because of water, I don't see a claimed or pretented weather resistance as a reason to prefer one lens.

Just to mention: Apple's new iPhone will be waterproof after IP67 standard!

eat this, Nikon!