Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lens focus acuracy test
Is there any comprehensive focus accuracy test, where I can print the charts myself with a   clear modality ?

I am discovering discovering the importance of micro AF adjustment...but again to do it we need focus accuracy tests

This product is devoted to the world of micro AF adjustments, for Nikon and Canon:

https://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/

The fun thing is that I bought it... just a few months before switching to Sony (which is not supported, and I don't know whether it even makes sense).

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:This product is devoted to the world of micro AF adjustments, for Nikon and Canon:

https://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/

The fun thing is that I bought it... just a few months before switching to Sony (which is not supported, and I don't know whether it even makes sense).
Many thanks but none of my cameras support micro AF any other tool ?
Quote:Many thanks but none of my cameras support micro AF any other tool ?

Yes, switching to mirrorless!

Ahaha sorry I couldn't help it. Just kidding ;-) 

If your body doesn't feature micro-adjustments, then the only viable option is to turn the body + lens in to Canon.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Maybe it's time to think of a body that has AF micro adjustments, to rely on perfectly accurate lens calibration from various manufacturers is asking for a lot if every time you buy a lens you have the grief of getting it calibrated and that doesn't guarantee it will be accurate on another camera.  It also makes S/H lens buying even more of a peril.

I couldn't rely on my two Nikon bodies being of the same calibration, each body seems to need a slightly different setting even for the same lens.  PD DSLR AF behaviour is a funny business, it demands in body adjustments in my view!
With a DSLR body which has no AF micro adjustment, you could also go the "lens adjustment" way. If you wnat to do that yourself, you just need to buy lenses with a dock and software for it: Sigma or Tamron.

Or get a body with AF micro adjustments.

Or use LiveView with critical shots.

Or go mirrorless.

AFMA is a game to reduce  the rate of fornt- or backfocus shots - it's not magic and it doesn't help always, no matter how much time you invest. you will miss less shots, but you still will miss some. I didn't figure out the reason why for different distances different AF values appear to be the right ones, but this makes adjustment of  a macro lens with only one AFMA value impossible. With wide-angle, on the other side, the failure rate (= reliability) increases.

FoCal, what stoppingdown recommended, can nake great looking spreadsheets about the reliability of AF. Result (for me): I don't trust a system anymore which is not able to deliver constant results in an optimal situation - good light, tripod, maximum target contrast.

No, you can't use Reikan for Sony mirrorless or CDAF, but you can take pictures of a target like the one from lensalign or read this recipe Just be ready to deal with frustration.

FoCal does the same, on various Canon cameras it appears to be able to do it fully automatically. Maybe stoppingdown wants/can sell his licence? But if you have no possibility for AFMA...