Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A great experience with DXO
Another wedding... and new  1000+ pictures to process.

The groom is my ex neighbor and childhood friend, our mothers say we have been friends since the age of one year...38 years of friendship.

I knew the photographer and we teamed together, so we were almost never doing the same pictures.

Once home I had all the RAWs to process, on the dancing floor the light was changing continuously and colored spotlights made metering an impossible task, I set exposure manually and had hundreds of pictures needing exposure correction, gave the job to DXO, it did it extremely well, finishing to process 1000 RAWs in one hour that's really impressive

I wanted to give their software a run, they had the Standard and Elite versions at that time. Looked at what the difference was and what I saw made me turn my head away from that company for ever.

Standard version: Cheaper

Elite version: More expensive all the same features. Supports full frame cameras.

As in "you bought a nice new expensive camera and paid a lot for it, you should pay us a bit too".

I will never, ever use anything related to DXO.

"all the same features" plus some more: http://www.dxo.com/de/fotografie/foto-so...ro/edition

I don't like their prices either, because it's just a raw converter and doesn't even come with photo management. If you buy into Capture One + Media Pro, it's 470 €. Like DXO, they are not fast with supporting new cameras. Capture One alone is 280 €. Compared to that, Lightroom is pretty cheap - but cannot support Multi user work like Capture One... Actually, I don't see how this app, which is opposite of intuitive, get along with more than 1 users...

Well it is having a job well done.

Besides they almost always have promotions so the listed price isn't that indicative.

However conversion is extremely slow, woke up this morning to find that it processed 213/981 pictures in 6 hours 2 days for a batch job that's excessive I am using their prime noise reduction that slows the process tremendously. They claim the newer version has improved speed.
Now, which number is correct? "1000 in one hour" or "213/981 in 6 hours"? 3 sec or 1 min 41 sec per picture? Actually I doubted about the first number, but I'm used to 36 MP (50 MB) and a 6 year old iMac. However, the 32 MB RAW files of Fuji 16 MP took nearly 4 min for 63 pictures which is 3.7 sec / picture. So, here I would have to come back after nearly 2 hours for 1000 pictures.

Why didn't you take JPG + RAW and save some time by using out-of-camera-JPGs?

It's one hour for editing 981 pictures and applying presets, then launched the batch that is still running since yesterday.

Let it waste the laptop time as long as I am not using it, the important it saved my own time.

I have 2 other PCs anyway
Quote:"all the same features" plus some more: http://www.dxo.com/de/fotografie/foto-so...ro/edition

I don't like their prices either, because it's just a raw converter and doesn't even come with photo management. If you buy into Capture One + Media Pro, it's 470 €. Like DXO, they are not fast with supporting new cameras. Capture One alone is 280 €. Compared to that, Lightroom is pretty cheap - but cannot support Multi user work like Capture One... Actually, I don't see how this app, which is opposite of intuitive, get along with more than 1 users...

I believe when I looked at that list a few years ago that "plus some more" part didn't exist. 

I don't use Media Pro and I actually paid a hilariously low amount of money for Capture One. They have a Sony version which has all the features but works only with JPEGs, TIFFs and Sony RAW files. My analog workflow is already in TIFF and right now I only have a Sony A7 so 50€ for Capture One 9 is quite a good deal for me. It also came with multiple seats so I have one activation at home and one at work. 

If we compare that to my experience with LR, I had the version 4 bundled with my Nex 7 for a very good price (60-70$ or so). I was quite happy with it for quite a few years since LR 5 brought nothing groundbreaking, but I still had to make the change because LR4 wouldn't support my then newly bought A7. Annoyed at that, I bought into CC subcription a few months later. 

Adobe CC Photographer subscription is really a good deal where I live because they did not adjust for the exchange rate in the past years so people are paying less than 6$ for PS+LR CC subscription per month. Compared to 11€ per month Capture One subscription, that's a steal. I was using it for photo management purposes since it was simply peanuts money.

The problem is, I don't like where Adobe has been heading in the past years. After LR3/4 switchover, they brought nothing really good onto the table. They are turning everything into more common-user-friendly thus dumbing everything down. They faced a huge backlash when they changed the import screen on the latest version but that's probably the only time they stepped back. I had quite liked the LR Mobile thing because it was letting me show my portfolio on my iPad on the go (It was quite useless for everything else) but even that failed a few times and left me in the cold where potential clients were looking at an iPad with gray squares where the photos should have been. It gave up syncing and simply never picked it up again. Adobe was unable to resolve the issue for months, then I quit.

Simply went deeper into Capture One and never regretted anything.
The Sony version of C1 is lacking tethered shooting as far as I've seen.

Quote:The Sony version of C1 is lacking tethered shooting as far as I've seen.

I shot tethered with it last night (and many other times too).
Funny, the Capture One version of a colleagues A7 R II appeared to be without tethered shooting.