Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon 1 discontinued?
Quote:I just did again, what I did 3 years ago: Putting some Nikon 1 gear in a virtual bag. The body is not too expensive at first look around 600-650 $ with 18 MP, 20 fps (continuous AF, no shutter lag) or 60 fps (no AF), 160-12.800 ISO and 171 focuspoints. Sounds decent, no? But then: additional finder + grip + FT 1 adapter for FE lenses = 1350 $ or a kit with lens, finder, grip for around 1000 $ Not to mention half a dozen batteries... And two or three lenses of pretty slow apertures, oh yeah, very sexy... yawn.

It was never meant as something more serious than a second camera for wealthy people with big enough cupboards, there were no cool stories, no cool people using it, the pictures at the website don't look really good - I think it's an underestimated, overpriced camera (but this only because of expensive extras). No serious approach, on some of the PR pictures it looks like a toy camera. Rich guys toy... To convince more photogs, Nikon should have done some rental weeks - I think, after trying it I could feel it's worth or not, but buying into a probably dead end system? Only at less than half price!

Quote:...there were no cool stories, no cool people using it, the pictures at the website don't look really good.

OK, I will give you this link one more time.

https://issuu.com/studor13/docs/hol_cambodia

If someone says that the photos and stories are “not cool” then I will give away my entire Nikon 1 system (2 bodies, 8 lenses) to anyone on Photozone who has cooler stories with whatever system they shoot with.

All shots except the cover were with the 18.5mm f1.8 @f1.8.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it, right?

Oh, my kids at least think that I'm pretty cool.
I was reading the DPReview review about the last 1 V version, which was V3. When I read something like

Quote: 

The grip feels solid and well made like the rest of all-metal camera, but the lock-on screw is plastic and feels cheap. It also blocks access to the V3's battery compartment, so you have to unscrew and remove it to swap batteries.

I only can shake my head.

Making a camera which needs "options" to become a fully usable camera - finder and grip where not without reason bundled in US - is one thing, doing these options so poorly, that you can't charge the battery in camera but need to remove the grip, which itself is costly and only giving one extra button... to me that says a lot about Nikon's design department.

If I turn my back to Nikon in the future, it's because a lot of their accessories are totally overpriced for what they give, they are hardly ever thinking outside of the box. No wonder, the Nikon 1 didn't turn out to be a good tool. As much interesting features it had, when it comes to speed, AF-reliability and -tracking, the downsides were too big to swallow to me.

Quote:OK, I will give you this link one more time.

If someone says that the photos and stories are “not cool” then I will give away my entire Nikon 1 system (2 bodies, 8 lenses) to anyone on Photozone who has cooler stories with whatever system they shoot with.

And why haven't the Nikon guys taken your pictures? Look at their brochures and advertisement material - I think, the models they used would not be able to switch it even on.

It was my perception that Nikon 1 is a pretty expensive, but not necessarily cool system. You bought yours second-hand, I think, so the price is less an issue. Especially because these type of system looses a lot of value just by unpacking the box.

Quote: 

I love page 33! Very cool.
Quote: 

What was the camera?  Liveview or did you use a finder?
enjoy
V1 with EVF.

One of the things that Nikon did which almost no one applauded with the V1 is that the look is very different to every other camera on the market.

Owners will tell you that it has a film-like look and feel. It is very much evident in print. And for 30x45cm the V1 has plenty of pixels.

Maybe it's the end of the line for the 1 system but I will still be shooting the V1 in 5 years time.
Out of curiosity: why did you chose the V1 + 18.5mm f1.8 instead of any of these?

1. Olympus E-M10 with Pana 20mm f1.7
  2. Panasonic GM5 with Pana 20mm f1.7
  3. Fuji X-T10 with Fuji 27mm f2.8
All 3 options above give you much better IQ, better DOF control and arguably better controls.

Additionnaly, option 2 is quite a bit more compact.

To me the Nikon 1 series only makes sense for wildlife where reach and AF are paramount.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
The Nikon 18.5mm is a 50mm f4.9 FF equivalent camera. The others you list are 40mm FF equivalent... A small but noticeable difference.

Reasons to get a V1 that I can see: When it was released, the other cameras did not yet exist? It is a Nikon, so a "natural" choice for a Nikon shooter? The Fuji with its odd CFA pattern makes for most RAW converters not getting the best results? The MFT cameras have a 4:3 aspect ratio, the Nikon 1 3:2? The AF implementation of the Nikon 1 series is really very good?
For the Nikon 1 system there's an FT-1 adapter to FE lenses, which he has. While I hesitated to buy into this system, Studor13 went the 2nd hand path. After the V1, each other V-version came up with some interesting features - and some cuts of the ones I liked.

Quote:The Nikon 18.5mm is a 50mm f4.9 FF equivalent camera. The others you list are 40mm FF equivalent... A small but noticeable difference.

Reasons to get a V1 that I can see: When it was released, the other cameras did not yet exist? It is a Nikon, so a "natural" choice for a Nikon shooter? The Fuji with its odd CFA pattern makes for most RAW converters not getting the best results? The MFT cameras have a 4:3 aspect ratio, the Nikon 1 3:2? The AF implementation of the Nikon 1 series is really very good?

A 40mm is arguably a more versatile FOV than 50mm as a walk-around lens.

However, if 50mm equiv is really required then there is the Oly 25mm f1.8. It provides better FOV control (f3.6 FF equiv) while the total package size remains in the same ballpark.

Fuji CFA pattern is not an issue anymore, even with LR.

If the photos (very nice ones) shown are an indication, AF is definitely not a limiting factor. Even something like a Pany GF2 would be sufficient.
--Florent

Flickr gallery