Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Landscape Lens for Canon EOS 6D?
The Sony A7S II with Batis 18mm should be awesome for this.

The A7S II has pretty low resolution, why specifically this camera for landscapes? The lens might be nice, but then there is the A7 II. The A7s's high ISO performance is really not THAT impressive, especially considering its low res.

Besides that, the 6D with a good lens is also fine for landscape stuff. It is not scared of some water drops either, anyway.

Let's agree not to agree there Brightcolours.  Big Grin

I found the 24/1.4L II finicky to focus in the dark; oddly enough the 16-35/4L IS has less hunting and OOF shots. I own and use both lenses (the 24 less extensively), if perhaps not specifically for landscape shooting (though it's my big passion).

Quote:Thank you wojtt,

yes I am definitely planning on the northern lights. that is why I was looking for something fast such as the 24mm f/1.4L<b>...  </b>but I do like the idea of having more of a range with the 16-35L f4.. would this lens be ok for shooting the northern lights?... if not, if you had to choose one lens (excluding the tele). What do you think you would take as a overall landscape, but also with the thought of shooting at night for northern lights?.

If I had to take just one lens for the purpose, I'd  either  stick  to my original choice ( Canon 16-35L f4)  or  choose the Tamron 15-30 2.8. The latter might as well be the better choice in fact, due to f2.8 allowing you to shoot at lower ISO for the same exposure. My choice of zooms over a fast prime like the 24 1.4 is dictated by its versatility for the general landscape shooting. After all, that kind of shooting will prevail in Iceland, and the aurora will be a big bonus if all goes well, right ?

Maybe I was out of luck at the time, but only once in 10 days of travel around Iceland we actually saw the aurora.. So planning for it is good, question is if the aurora is planning to show up at all Smile 

As for the Canon 6D you shouldn't worry, it will do quite fine. Take a decent tripod and weight to support it (might be improvised)  as the winds in Iceland are often storm-like in strength. 
Since nobody mentioned these yet, have you considered any of teh TS-E lenses yet?

MF, yes, but just mount the -S focusing screen (laser matte) for it, and you should be fine. Especially with the TS-E 17L and TS-E 24L II you don't get any better Smile. From a WA POV they are my preferred lenses for landscapes, and it is easy to stitch an even wider image with these lenses.

Having said that, I'll shoot landscapes with any lens, from extreme WA to very long lens, depending on the subject or effect I want to create.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
16-35/4, 70-200/2.8 (both IS) - these about cover my needs for landscape shooting.