Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologies in advance, olympus 25mmf1.2 vs Sony 50mmf1.4....
It has been rather calm here lately...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/12/18...t-for-fun/

Yeah, and what better way to spice things up than to stoke a little format dispute. Smile

My money is on the equivalencers arriving in force soon to point out perceived flaws in the comparison (even though the author apparently is on the same page). Smile
well the 25f1.2 is the better lens (imho) but the system test favors the sony in many ways.

Should you guys not taking care of X-mas presents? Some quarterbacks for your winning teams?

hey guess what, this day I was in the mood for a new 85 mm. Two shops, none had it, went home and saved 1100.- Useless information, I know. But suits in this thread.  :lol:

Quote:Should you guys not taking care of X-mas presents? Some quarterbacks for your winning teams?

hey guess what, this day I was in the mood for a new 85 mm. Two shops, none had it, went home and saved 1100.- Useless information, I know. But suits in this thread.  :lol:
Whichone costs 1100 francs? The Tamron?
No, the Sigma. And the saving lasted until today. All this "85 awesomeness" was too hard to ignore.  Big Grin

The Tamron is less than 800.-

At the end the Sigma won, I saw a review (with too much talk) of Dustin Abbott, there was also a bit of Tamron in it but he mainly compared the 135 to the 85 Art.

Couple of days ago I made my annual calendars for some people and realized there were quite some shots with the rented 85 which I really like for its frontlight handling and also bokeh.

[Image: i-TbDkCVC-L.jpg]

A friend also bought the lens and found herself in trouble to send it in because "on the hyperlocal distance it doesn't focus anymore" - that was cryptic to me. But I saw her pictures and mine from last summer. And I realized, as awesome the 135 Art is, sometimes it's just a bit too long. So maybe I get it just before I leave to a short trip to England.

Interesting. If I'll get around to filling the 85mm niche someday (not that I need it much now, mind you), I'd probably go with the Tamron.

In terms of reduced weight the Tamron was a temptation for me. It was just bringing back some bad memories of service. The importer in Switzerland usually sends the lens to Germany. Nothing bad about that, needs just more time. When I get in trouble with the Sigma, it's just hard an hour by train and bike to meet somebody from Sigma service.

I think if I'd had the chance to try a Tamron and see how it's doing for me - the decision could have been different. Knowing how nicely the Sigma renders - by own experience - was now the little decisive kick I needed to click the order button.