Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
full frame vs crop, which is better for porrtraits ?
just read this article, yes full frame has the edge, but is it worh the extra bulk ?

http://petapixel.com/2016/07/28/full-fra...portraits/

I am still on dual system and yes I am happy with both, although the feeling when shooting full frame with big and bright sensor is much better.

Actually, the linked comparison is actually unhelpful

if it is about portraits. The linked page is entirely about

blur in out of focus parts. And as such, it didnt,t even use

comparable lenses. A 50/1.8 against a 85/1.4.

With the same line of thought, one could have shown, that 

using comraable settings leads to absolutely comparable results,

and therefore Crop-1.6 is as good as FF if it comes

toportraits.

On top of that ... comparing a studio portrait, where oof-blur

is next to unimportant, would have shown that crop-1.6 can 

even be a slight advantage .... that is if you want the whole

face sharp.

Rainer

It's not about the background blur, but about the perspective and face appearance. I rarely use my 50mm at f1.4

Using lenses wide open is not a rule in portraits.

And here it is. Clear we can use both. However yes for the viewfinder shallow DOF full frame has a slight edge.

For me both are excellent concentrate on other important issues for portraits especially the lighting
In photography everything is answered with "It depends".

If you want to shoot a wedding and be paid for it then I would say that a full frame is better.

If you are covering events and no one is going to pay you but you want to have some decent quality then a crop camera is just fine.

And if you are on holidays and you don't want to carry heavy gear but you are still serious then even a 1" sensor will get the job done: here 

( now I have a seriously serious lens for the system and I can tell you that I would even cover a wedding with a 1" sensor camera)
It's 2016 and people still don't get it. It's the system which makes a difference.

A Fuji 56/1.2 would be on par with that Sony at f/1.8. A medium formar camera with a 80/2.8 lens would have a deeper DOF, which would be "worse" according to the author.

I swear one day I'll go home in a rage and I'll write an article about this.

This and "focal length affects portraits" myth.