Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's getting late.....but...
There is a campaign going on for the new FLM-Travel tripod. I should have thought about posting before this since there is only three days left. There are still a few of the perks left for those that might be interested in this type of tripod.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flm-t...tography#/

Admin, feel free to remove this post if it is a problem.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the FLM company.

"<b>the MSRP for the CP-Travel will be $635.00 USD"</b>

But for those looking for a bargain, 
<b>"</b><b>The CP-</b><b>Travel is offered here for as little as $425.00 USD".</b>

Good luck!

FLM makes top end tripods that compete with the likes of Gitzo and RRS.

The Gitzo GT1555T retails for $770 USD.

The RRS TQC-14 retails for $850 USD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11...veler.html

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TQC-14-Q...s-1-tripod

The Gitzo is closest to the FLM unit.

When you consider the current $425 USD price, it seems like a pretty good deal. It's not everyone's cup of tea but for those that want the best in a travel tripod, this might be it.

I have the Gitzo G1157 which I bought new for 200€ because it is an old model.

It weighs 1.06kg vs 1.28kg for the FLM-Travel. That's about 20% lighter.

Not all Gitzos are expensive.
Quote:I have the Gitzo G1157 which I bought new for 200€ because it is an old model.

It weighs 1.06kg vs 1.28kg for the FLM-Travel. That's about 20% lighter.

Not all Gitzos are expensive.

The G1157 is not a travel tripod. It's nice that you got it cheap as an EOL tripod but I compared the prices of travel tripods that are not EOL and newer.

You have a 6 layer CF, 3 segment tripod and the FLM is a 10 layer, 5 segment tripod. Even the RRS tripod I used is a 4 segment tripod might not work on some airplanes as a carry on.

You have to compare apples to apples. The FLM travel will probably be discounted when it reaches it's EOL.

P.S. - One day left for those that might be interested.

Quote:The G1157 is not a travel tripod.

I think you are starting to talk a lot of non-sense now.

When I travel, I take the G1157. I also have the Mafrotto 055 standard and 055 carbon which are way too big and much heavier.

Your definition of a travel tripod may mean that it needs to fit inside your wallet but mine is that it is light and can fit in a small suitcase or stay on the outside of a backpack but not overly extending.
Quote:I think you are starting to talk a lot of non-sense now.

When I travel, I take the G1157. I also have the Mafrotto 055 standard and 055 carbon which are way too big and much heavier.

Your definition of a travel tripod may mean that it needs to fit inside your wallet but mine is that it is light and can fit in a small suitcase or stay on the outside of a backpack but not overly extending.

I didn't post this to argue about tripods. It was purely informational for people that might be interested in this type of tripod and while they can get it at 30% off the MSRP. Obviously this unit does not suit your needs. That is fine and very understandable. For someone considering the Gitzo GT1555T this might be a welcome alternative? Even Gitzo differentiates between their mountaineer class tripods (your G1157) and their traveler class tripods. I also see a large difference in your G1157 carrying weight of 4.5 kg vs both the Gitzo GT1555T and FLM CP-Travel at 10 kg.