Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony FE 50mm f/1.8
On the top of the second page why is the distortion chart labelled 55mm ? Also the vignetting and bokeh fringing are way too high; has a lens ever had worse bokeh fringing ? Shocked this is a 3 star lens; about all it offers is ok resolution in the middle; though I suppose the corners do tighten up f4/5.6. Is this lens any better than 30 year old zuiko 50f1.8 ? Maybe better resolution ?

My vote goes for purple fringing! I've had similar problems in the past, CA sliders can help in ACR, it appears on one side of the droplet!

Was I imagining things or was there a slight notion that the focusing motor wasn't one of the best on the planet....or was it just me?

For people who merely skimmed through the review: The AF on this lens is slow a.f.

To put it into perspective, my Minolta 9000 focuses my Beercan faster under dim light compared to an A7II and this 50/1.8 combo.

Quote:On the top of the second page why is the distortion chart labelled 55mm ? Also the vignetting and bokeh fringing are way too high; has a lens ever had worse bokeh fringing ? Shocked this is a 3 star lens; about all it offers is ok resolution in the middle; though I suppose the corners do tighten up f4/5.6. Is this lens any better than 30 year old zuiko 50f1.8 ? Maybe better resolution ?

Yep, copy & paste error there (55mm).

Vignetting and bokeh fringing are typical for all 50s ...

The point with the 3* is the extremely high resolution at f/5.6 but yeah, maybe I should go for 2 1/2 to 3 there.
Quote:My vote goes for purple fringing! I've had similar problems in the past, CA sliders can help in ACR, it appears on one side of the droplet!

Confusing line, sorry. 

I get the 1st part, your vote goes to purple fringing.

Then?? CA sliders can help in ACR with this image? How do you know? And CA is.. CA, not PF?

And what appears on one side of the droplet, exactly?

Sorry that I am not clear on what you refer to in the different parts of that line...  :unsure:

I see the magenta on all edges of droplets in front of the focal plane. Behind the focal plane, same bright droplets, no purple or magenta to be seen. However, we see green instead on the edges of the bright parts.

And regarding PF: it too can appear in all edges of a very over-exposed part. Only lateral CA appears on one side of bright (actually contrasty edges, not specifically over exposed parts).

So, yeah, all the hallmarks of Longitudinal CA...

Quote:Confusing line, sorry. 

I get the 1st part, your vote goes to purple fringing.

Then?? CA sliders can help in ACR with this image? How do you know? And CA is.. CA, not PF?

And what appears on one side of the droplet, exactly?

Sorry that I am not clear on what you refer to in the different parts of that line...  :unsure:

I see the magenta on all edges of droplets in front of the focal plane. Behind the focal plane, same bright droplets, no purple or magenta to be seen. However, we see green instead on the edges of the bright parts.

And regarding PF: it too can appear in all edges of a very over-exposed part. Only lateral CA appears on one side of bright (actually contrasty edges, not specifically over exposed parts).

So, yeah, all the hallmarks of Longitudinal CA...
I can't see anything now the image has gone, nonetheless I've had similar purple fringing in water highlights, when blowing up to 200% the fringing is on one side of the droplets, using the purple/green CA sliders in ACR the purple can be reduced sometimes to very little, however I didn't see any green in that image nor have had greens in any of mine.

Not saying I'm right mind!

Quote:I can't see anything now the image has gone, nonetheless I've had similar purple fringing in water highlights, when blowing up to 200% the fringing is on one side of the droplets, using the purple/green CA sliders in ACR the purple can be reduced sometimes to very little, however I didn't see any green in that image nor have had greens in any of mine.

Not saying I'm right mind!
This image?

http://photozone.smugmug.com/Sony-FE-50m...C00803.jpg
I have added a comment about this image to the review.

http://www.opticallimits.com/images/8Rev...8/loca.jpg

Yes, and the magnification works!

Ok you call that magenta fringing BC, I would have settled for purple, due to extreme contrast, I see it every now and then with reflections of the sun on water. I use ACR 9, the manual sliders (for purple/green and their sub sliders from brown to blue) to reduce that, I have reasonable success, sometimes though it doesn't work well.

Whatever, the fringing in this shot is horrifically dire and overwhelming, whether it could remove it is doubtful. Normally green fringing would be behind the point of focus!

Edit. Klaus just slipped his post in between my reply and BC's. I guess there is some green fringing though it's a heck of a lot less obvious. Looks like the LOCAs theory stands!

I'd bin that Sony lens!