Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS macro on APS-C
Ok, not tooooo interesting. Impressive nonetheless.

http://www.opticallimits.com/sony_nex/979-sony90f28apsc

Well, the NEX-7 sensor was chewing through E-mount lenses like there's no tomorrow; I'm glad that it has finally found its (G-)master. Smile By the way, the chart looks a little bit familiar, innit? Smile

Hey, I gave you a "like" for that back then!

I think both the 55mm and 90mm show that the sensor on the NEX7 is fine but those old "NEX" lenses were just soso.

Quote:Hey, I gave you a "like" for that back then!

I think both the 55mm and 90mm show that the sensor on the NEX7 is fine but those old "NEX" lenses were just soso.
I know. I was just being "sarcastic". As an aside, I'm starting to remember that the 35/1.8 OSS was better than most. You can't be sure about the 24/1.8 either because it has not been tested - who knows, maybe it was a good one as well.

The Nex-7 sensor has its issues with wider angle lenses, especially those with a "closer to the sensor" design. Neither the 55mm and 90mm are particularly wide angle?

Quote:The Nex-7 sensor has its issues with wider angle lenses, especially those with a "closer to the sensor" design. Neither the 55mm and 90mm are particularly wide angle?
That, and they are full frame lenses anyway.
Well, to be fair - the Sony 10-18mm f/4 performed reasonably well so it's not about wide angle lenses in general.

The 55-210mm is an example for a sub-par tele lens.

I think initially Sony just didn't care about lens quality because they thought that cameras are the primary drivers. And that's true in the early phase of a new system. Somewhere along the way they started to notice that it's probably not a good thing that complaints about their lens system were piling up.
I wouldn't be amazed if these better lenses used the same type of lens design as (d)slr lenses, basically creating an image projection at less steep angles than the entry angles.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Indeed, not all wide angle lenses similarly affect the nex7 sensor in the same fashion, it is dependent on the lens design and angle of the light that hits the sensor stack corners.