Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC
Quote: The D750 or the Canon 6D should have been the tested companion with this lens!

<a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/">https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/</a>

5ds has a similar pixel density to the 7d ii, so it possible to read across a bit here. The 760d would surely be worse. 6d -is the auto focus up to it?
It is true the pixel density is similar and it is on the APSc sensor that the lens struggles to produce a sharp image at the long end. It is worth mentioning that while the lens tests show it's best at F8 (600m) in the center, real world shooting at longer than test distances proves undoubtedly F11-13 to be sharper, this maybe being a function of the internal focusing. Even at wider apertures at the long end it's very sharp indeed at close distances.

I have taken something around 10,000  images with the Tamron and on the D7100/ D750 and the one thing that has surprised me the most is, how well the resolution holds out to the corners (FF), you really don't get much sensation that things get softer away from the center.

It certainly would be foolhardy to judge the 5D-R's sensor's characteristics from the Tamron especially at the longer end, but given the 5DR's history with lenses, that, as a body used for testing....    "any lens tested"....    is going to finds it's pants round it's ankles in the corners!  I  doubt that the Tamron will ever find itself on a 5DR and if it did it would soon be off again!   Rolleyes

However, for these very welcome tests, the comparison between the Tamron and the Sigma Sport will be of great interest. Anyone who has tried to find an affordable tele-zoom that actually delivers sharpness, and the Tamron is the first that has achieved that accolade, (besting by a considerable margin my previous Sigma 50-500mm F4/6.3) will know that these lenses have opened up a new world that was otherwise left to the well heeled pro shooter carting around their $10,000 heavyweight bazookas.

Therefore, 50Mps or not, we are on a level playing field, so bring on the Sigma Sport and it will be dueling pistols at dawn!

BTW.Weather sealing is only at the lens mount.

For APS-C with such pixel density you don't need to retest, just crop the original files and you're done or you have intentions of doing APS-C tests ?
Quote:5ds has a similar pixel density to the 7d ii, so it possible to read across a bit here. The 760d would surely be worse. 6d -is the auto focus up to it?
Of course it is
Quote:It is true the pixel density is similar and it is on the APSc sensor that the lens struggles to produce a sharp image at the long end. It is worth mentioning that while the lens tests show it's best at F8 (600m) in the center, real world shooting at longer than test distances proves undoubtedly F11-13 to be sharper, this maybe being a function of the internal focusing. Even at wider apertures at the long end it's very sharp indeed at close distances.

I have taken something around 10,000  images with the Tamron and on the D7100/ D750 and the one thing that has surprised me the most is, how well the resolution holds out to the corners (FF), you really don't get much sensation that things get softer away from the center.

It certainly would be foolhardy to judge the 5D-R's sensor's characteristics from the Tamron especially at the longer end, but given the 5DR's history with lenses, that, as a body used for testing....    "any lens tested"....    is going to finds it's pants round it's ankles in the corners!  I  doubt that the Tamron will ever find itself on a 5DR and if it did it would soon be off again!   Rolleyes

However, for these very welcome tests, the comparison between the Tamron and the Sigma Sport will be of great interest. Anyone who has tried to find an affordable tele-zoom that actually delivers sharpness, and the Tamron is the first that has achieved that accolade, (besting by a considerable margin my previous Sigma 50-500mm F4/6.3) will know that these lenses have opened up a new world that was otherwise left to the well heeled pro shooter carting around their $10,000 heavyweight bazookas.

Therefore, 50Mps or not, we are on a level playing field, so bring on the Sigma Sport and it will be dueling pistols at dawn!

BTW.Weather sealing is only at the lens mount.
It is worth noting that the sharpening applied to the MFT images, skews the difference between center and borders, in this case especially as the lens itself is not tack sharp at this resolution. In other words, the center gets sharpened more than the borders (th nature of sharpening applied) and the difference seems bigger. 

In the sample photos, the lens seems to perform quite ok, even on the 5DS-R. And yet soft enough to avoid the worst aliasing Wink
I don't really mean to torment Klaus (and have sharp / heavy objects thrown in my direction), but what about the Sigma 150-600 C? This one is the real competitor to the Tamron, not the Sport one (which is 2x the price / 1.5x the weight).

Quote:BTW.Weather sealing is only at the lens mount.
 Wow. So one is really prepared, if a local thunderstorm is happening around the lens mount. That's relief.
Quote:I don't really mean to torment Klaus (and have sharp / heavy objects thrown in my direction), but what about the Sigma 150-600 C? This one is the real competitor to the Tamron, not the Sport one (which is 2x the price / 1.5x the weight).
Poor Klaus is still in mid recuperation, what with all that walking back and forth to the resolution charts, the thought of a further tele-zoom test would probably push him over the edge.

Best settle for reading the Lenstip review which settles the issue with a chart showing the differences between the two, at the long end (the important end) the Tamron pips the C, only the shorter end does the C get the better of it. Of the three reviews, Lentip,Ephotozine and SLR the Tamron beats the C, I know I agonized over the reviews before ordering the Tamron. 

The Sport won conclusively though.   Ephotozone's review the Tamron's center at 600mm touched excellent!

This shot of the yellow wagtail is shot at 600mm F11, it really is tack sharp.(slight crop)  D750

I don't know about the Tamron, but the buyer of my Sports showed me his comparison of Sports vs. Contemporary and it was very obvious which one is the better. Nevertheless, it is some weight to carry and I don't regret I sold it. Although the 100-400 is no subsutitute for it, as the camera is in total too slow. I just have some hope for the upcoming X-T2 and was a couple of times at the edge to get me the X-T1 but I know I would regret to waste money for an outdated model.

Quote:Poor Klaus is still in mid recuperation, what with all that walking back and forth to the resolution charts, the thought of a further tele-zoom test would probably push him over the edge.

Best settle for reading the Lenstip review which settles the issue with a chart showing the differences between the two, at the long end (the important end) the Tamron pips the C, only the shorter end does the C get the better of it. Of the three reviews, Lentip,Ephotozine and SLR the Tamron beats the C, I know I agonized over the reviews before ordering the Tamron. 

The Sport won conclusively though.   Ephotozone's review the center at 600mm touched excellent!

This shot of the yellow wagtail is shot at 600mm F11, it really is tack sharp.(slight crop)

Among the uncropped sample images are several taken at 600mm (taken with the 5D II). They are quite sharp but not pixel-level sharp (which is what I define as tack-sharp). Thus if they aren't pixel level sharp on the 5D II, they can hardly be great on the 5Ds R.

Just to mention - if we take the rating at 600mm f/6.3 we get an effective local resolution of ...

- 20.8mp in the center

- 5.7mp at the borders

- 4.8mp at the corners

That is, of course, on the 5Ds R. This figures will be smaller on the 5D II but at least the center will be more than decent here.

FWIW, Tamron's own MTFs do not suggest a great border/corner performance at 600mm.

It is also worth to mention that air diffusion has an impact due to the chart-to-camera distance - no, I do not test in vacuum conditions ... ;-)

As mentioned I will provide equivalent 21mp charts once I have a sufficient number of sample data for the conversion.