•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review!
Pentax invested fairly heavily into a shrinking (DSLR-) market - a market they do not own.

I don't think that a western company would dare to do so from a financial perspective.

Of course, Japanese companies are a little bit different (tell me - I'm working for one (in IT)).
Smile

I don't envy you, Klaus.

I once had the opportunity to do an assignment for a Japanese company, in IT. Just that another comapny snatched em away litterally hours before the Japanese company decided to tell the compnay I was employed with that they wanted me.

Based on what I found out later on how they worked, I am only glad they missed that time window Smile.

I do think that although they are changing, they are often still technology and/or engineering driven.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Do we know yet if it was a good (proftiable) investment) ?
@JoJu:

Of course the K-1 is not for those with a D810 and f/2.8 Nikkor zooms in their bags Wink Guess what: neither is the 5DMkIV. Specifically, no camera is made primarily for users with equivalent equipment from the competition; because making them switch is the hardest thing to do.

But, how about all the other people who don't have a high resolution FF DSLR and want one? 

As for "reduced choices" - with APS-C, I had the unique option of using compact yet rugged cameras, with compact DA Limiteds. Despite Canon and Nikon having many more lenses, I didn't had that particular option.

What system has the most options, is not relevant. What matters, is which systems have the things you need (the problem here is to have a reasonable guess at your future needs)

Let's not confuse past with present; Zeiss pulled out of Pentax some time ago; so did Tamron, and Sigma barely releases a K-mount lens now and then.

We have something better than rumors: we have a public roadmap. 4 new D FA primes and a fisheye zoom (for 2017 "or later"), and a DA wide zoom (which is a bit late).

You know that, we told you about it in this very topic. You are ignoring information. You're repeating the same "arguments". Why? Because your "sun in your photographic galaxy" is another brand? FF and DSLRs are passing fads because Fujifilm says so? (careful... Olympus was claiming that other brands' DSLRs are "dinosaurs" until right before discontinuing their own "built for the future" 4/3)

Quote:Pentax invested fairly heavily into a shrinking (DSLR-) market - a market they do not own.

I don't think that a western company would dare to do so from a financial perspective.

Of course, Japanese companies are a little bit different (tell me - I'm working for one (in IT)).

Pentax doesn't own any market, so what are their choices? To close shop? Is that really better than moving forward?

Ricoh Imaging is doing very well on the 360o market but Theta alone can't sustain their ambitions. OTOH, the 645 and the K-1 are regarded as successful products .

Reality check:

- Pentax' best chance was with their existing customer base

- we know as a fact that they were right to make the K-1

- the MILC market is shrinking as well

- the DSLR market is still about 3x as large as the MILC one

Quote:We have something better than rumors: we have a public roadmap. 4 new D FA primes and a fisheye zoom (for 2017 "or later"), and a DA wide zoom (which is a bit late).

You know that, we told you about it in this very topic. You are ignoring information. You're repeating the same "arguments". Why? Because your "sun in your photographic galaxy" is another brand? FF and DSLRs are passing fads because Fujifilm says so? (careful... Olympus was claiming that other brands' DSLRs are "dinosaurs" until right before discontinuing their own "built for the future" 4/3)

If you try to go on my nerves, good luck. About repeating same arguments you should be very quite for yourself by turning the same prayer wheel on and on again. Go and get your Pentax and just shut up enjoy it  Smile . Don't bother about us hypocrites who just remain with their stuff and are not running behind fresh coffins.

That's the thing with those few Pentaxians, some tend to be on a crusade for their brand - which gives the jokes just another fuel. Using still Apple Aperture, I know how it feels like  :lol:

JoJu, while this is Klaus' forum and ultimately it's his decision - we're on the Pentax section. I'm where I'm supposed to be, on a place dedicated to those interested in Pentax.

The ones on a crusade are those out of place people, on other brands' forums trying to convince people that their brand is no good.

The fact remains the K1 offers the best bang for buck FF DSLR, and it turns out to have the fourth best performing sensor and that's without counting it's sensor shift resolution, in reality it beats them all when using it.

When you are looking at some huge landscape FF prints hanging in a gallery the Pentax one will look the best, but the public won't  give a monkey's what camera was used and how many lenses are available for it!

And that is pure fact!

I'm not trying to convince anybody at all - that's your interpretation, Kunzite, and it was a couple of times before as well your interpretation. Also, I'm not entering various forbidden forums each for themselves, I just update form time to time for "view new content". I'm not the only Ex-Pentax owner in this forum and I'm also not the only Non-Pentax owner writing some things here - now, should I escalate the pointless debate and tell you, if you don't like it, go elsewhere? No, that would be as stupid as your "this is my place to write here, stay off my turf".

Remain calm, nobody wants to take away your happiness of Pentax. And if you don't like what I write, there's an ignore-list in your profile - just use it instead of acting as prima donna .  Wink Anyway, you're right, that K1 is nothing interesting for me.

Quote:Pentax doesn't own any market, so what are their choices? To close shop? Is that really better than moving forward?

Ricoh Imaging is doing very well on the 360o market but Theta alone can't sustain their ambitions. OTOH, the 645 and the K-1 are regarded as successful products .

Reality check:

- Pentax' best chance was with their existing customer base

- we know as a fact that they were right to make the K-1

- the MILC market is shrinking as well

- the DSLR market is still about 3x as large as the MILC one

DSLRs are a dead market segment long term. Whether we are talking about 5 years, 10 or 15 years. It'll happen.

Mirrorless cameras are simply a conceptually superior approach - video, AF, viewfinder, size. All these firewalls have collapsed or are collapsing with every new mirrorless camera release - take the X-T2, GFX, E-M1 II, GH5, the Sony A7 mk II series.

Remember Pentax' primary value prop ? Size ? Gone ...

The mirrorless camera market is shrinking by volume but not by share.

Currently mirrorless has a marketshare of 10.2%. In 2013 it was 5.3%. So that almost doubled within 4 years.

DSLRs have  a marketshare of 27.1% now - up from 22% - thus merely a 30% increase (or 3 times slower).

(the rest are digicams which are going away)

Just do the math from there. All it takes for a final death kick is the introduction of a FF mirrorless camera by CaNikon. That'll turn the religious DSLR photographers. It'll happen and when it does, the DSLR death will come fast and it'll be complete.

The effects are already showing. Just take the 5D IV. At the very best that's a half-hearty new release based on minimal R&D budget. They know it. This camera is supposed to compete against the upcoming A9 ? Yeah ... right.

If you don't believe me ... well, maybe believe the most conservative camera manufacturer of the planet - Leica. If even Leica goes mirrorless ...

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next