Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you thought the $11K Noctilux 50/0.95 was expensive...
... then I have to regretfully inform you that Leica has hit a new high/low (depending on the viewpoint)... The brand spankin' new Noctilux-M 75mm F1.25 ASPH is set to retail for paltry $12795. ETA 1st half of 2018.
At least it isn't a ridiculous soft focus lens for half as much (though at that aperture, it's debatable if much can be in however sharp focus anyway), nor an equally ridiculous 28mm f/5.6 lens with an equally outrageous price.
P. S. Fun fact: with that amount of money, you can buy exactly eight copies of Canon's new lens with arguably similar stats and niche, the EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS USM. You'll even have three dollars remaining to buy a beer... is there a chance to get a bottle/can of beer for $3?
P. P. S. If you think I'm being snarky, that's true. I've been feeling like that today for some reason, and reading news about Leica is always bringing out some of my internal Jerkass Troll. Deal with it. Smile
I can't blame you, Rover. Even knowing Leica is expensive, the new lens is just too much.

The weirdness in this industry continues to open "new frontiers".

To be honest, I am expecting soon to see manual focus lens with focus and aperture rings decorated with diamonds. It won't be Leica, because they are too classy, but its coming.

But wait, there's more!
Apparently the "retro-ized" version of the current 50mm f/2 ASPH lens is being rolled out... at $1800 premium over the regular one, which was already $7700 or something. A grand total of $9500 for a 50mm f/2 lens - how's that for a bargain? If you ask me, for that price it should have been a 500mm f/2 but they misplaced a decimal point somewhere after the price was already set. Big Grin
P. S. I almost feel sorry about poking fun at Leica (and more so about the hapless "elite" customers who are probably going to lap up everything) because it's so damn easy... Almost.
 Everything Leica is overpriced, but in the past you got decades of camera use and still had a camera that was worth what you paid for it.....

...knowing now that you get stung and lose a fortune on a new body in a matter of a couple of years,  probably makes it easier to swallow (or choke on) the exorbitant prices they charge for their lenses! 
Quote: Everything Leica is overpriced, but in the past you got decades of camera use and still had a camera that was worth what you paid for it.....

...knowing now that you get stung and lose a fortune on a new body in a matter of a couple of years,  probably makes it easier to swallow (or choke on) the exorbitant prices they charge for their lenses! 
Well, if you allow me to modify the old adage - "with great money comes great prodigality". Smile I cannot imagine spending that amount of money on very modest (stat-wise) gear that would, to boot, impair, not improve my ability to take pictures. If I had had tens of thousands of dollars, I would've built a house or a road, or - more likely - given these money to my parents or charitable causes. If I had absolutely had to spend that on something photography-related, I would've gotten myself a Canon 1D X II or a Sony A7R Mark III and embarked on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to some faraway and harsh land like Western China or the Antarctic. Big Grin

Guess we'll never know what goes through the brain of a die-hard Leica user.

P. S. Regarding your "a couple of years" notice... well, haven't we long since reached the point when improvements in new gear (within the same system) are incremental, not revolutionary, anyway? It's been a while since there has appeared a feature that drastically changed the shooting experience to the better, and most reasonably upmarket bodies released since about 2010 have been perfectly adequate since for anything but the most bleeding-edge tasks. Guess it ain't so in the Leica world and it still takes them more time to evolve to where the others have been for years... and you have to pay huge extra for that evolutionary sluggishness! The mind boggles.