Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS macro
I second Klaus in this aspect, meaning "aren't that hot" still lacks of some today normal comfort features.

They might be nice, but always manually focusing. Meaning "no fast changes of subject". Also meaning "you need additional hardware like stepping motor driven macro slide for focus stacks". No, closing the aperture is not helping to get the same picture.

Some of them come with VR/OS, usesless to macro, very useful in other aspects of photography.

Sure, one can make a real bargain by buying a cheap but good old macro lens instead of blowing hundreds of € / $. And a lot of macro shots will look equally good becuase no one uses those lenses wide open. But I'm sure, here the first would split into good and mediocre.

There is no difference in how to do focus stacking with older or newer macro lenses.

Also, my 55mm f3.5 is pretty good wide open, although most people will not shoot macro wide open.

This one is at f3.5:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

So chances are it will not measure all that badly wide open, either.

The 55mm f2.8 (its manual Ai-S version and the later AF version) still can compete with the newer macro lenses also.

Of course there is a difference in how to do focus stacking! With elder lenses you need to move the camera with lens. With AF lenses you use Helicon remote and after doing the stack shots, you put them into Helicon focus to layer them.

With Non-AF lenses one is forced to buy additional hardware - that makes the advantage of "cheap" vintage lens pretty much eaten up.

More than that: With manual macro lens you also need an extra power supply for the stepper, for the remote control it comes to being equal because Helicon isn't part of a camera - but they could make an app for Sony and their in-camera-apps. The Sony menus and firmware already are so huge, so it would not matter to put in another 100MB or so  Big Grin

I think we were talking about 90mm lenses.  Huh

Modern 90mm have loads of ED glass - the 30 years old stuff hasn't.

Quote:Of course there is a difference in how to do focus stacking! With elder lenses you need to move the camera with lens. With AF lenses you use Helicon remote and after doing the stack shots, you put them into Helicon focus to layer them.

With Non-AF lenses one is forced to buy additional hardware - that makes the advantage of "cheap" vintage lens pretty much eaten up.

More than that: With manual macro lens you also need an extra power supply for the stepper, for the remote control it comes to being equal because Helicon isn't part of a camera - but they could make an app for Sony and their in-camera-apps. The Sony menus and firmware already are so huge, so it would not matter to put in another 100MB or so  Big Grin
Moving the camera with the lens will not work well (changing POV for every shot). Refocussing the lens happens the same as with AF lenses, by hand in live view. If you want to use Helicon Remote, that is fine, and yes, then only with AF lenses. Issue with refocussing the lens is the changing FOV.

The best way to go is leave the POV the same (not move the camera), leave the lens geometry alone (no focussing the lens between shots) but move the lens itself (so, use an old macro lens which moves all elements, or use bellows).

In case of the 55mm f3.5 that means no extra hardware or software to purchase, then.
Changing FOV. Correct, but Helicon Focus can handle this pretty well. In theory and with 100% centric lenses it's "only" magnification to be calculated".

Of course, the way you described - moving the lens only (like a bellows head) - is the best and possible with Manual focus lenses, but handling this procedure manually always has the risk of movinng the whole macro slide, or tripod, or tripod head if one is clumsy like me.  ^_^ So, I prefer the "autopilot" method of Helicon remote. Or CamRanger, which can also make stacks, but less comfortable.

I can understand your preference. I have not gone into real focus stacking yet myself, but when I get inspired and find a photographic idea where it comes in handy, I may see how Magic/Tragic Lantern firmware on my 6D or EOS M will do (it will take the role of what Helicon Focus has).

And I still have to try out my Ultra-Micro-Nikkor 28mm f1.8 reverse mounted on bellows, where focus stacking for sure is a necessity.  It is kinda like Klaus with testing and super tele zooms  :o