Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp
And you're quoting a Pentax forum... funny, I didn't read about Nikon AF issues. But no wonder, I'm in no Nikon forum  Tongue

This could help of course - not reading Nikon forums... most of them were coming from Pentax anyway, like you and me and...  B) Or: Nikon users are very very very critical when it comes to AF, mostly because Nikon lenses need AFMA as well  :lol:

I'm tired of defending Sigma. Everybody can talk them down and nobody ever will know the rate of happy and quiet users and "the others", unhappy, unsatisfied, demoralized, depressed and disappointed of life in general. Oh yes, that'd be a nice statistics.

We should think of them in a moment of silence, I do that all the time when I'm sleeping.

If you think that the Nikon users are vocal about the Sigma AF, then you haven't seen the situation on the Canon side of the fence. It's a sight not for the faint of heart.  Rolleyes (at least over at FredMiranda.com)

The latest few generations of Canon DSLRs are relatively good with AF accuracy, and MFA is less needed than with the latest Nikon DSLRs. This becomes clear in the Nikon and Canon forums on DPReview. Lots of MFA talk in the Nikon forums, and more disgruntled Sigma AF posts.

I'll not mention that Foto Magazin AF test again  B)

Quote: :unsure: If you think that the Nikon users are vocal about the Sigma AF, then you haven't seen the situation on the Canon side of the fence. It's a sight not for the faint of heart.  Rolleyes (at least over at FredMiranda.com)  

For a moment I was doubting my own sanity............... (probably for good reason! :o)

So far on the D7100/D750 no lens needs more AFFT than +/- 2.....all Nikon lenses+ the Big T 150-600mm (-2) 

I've never had it so good!

.......................................................................................................................................................................

JoJu says..... "I'm tired of defending Sigma"

Dave says... "I know how you feel JoJu....... I used to defend Pentax.....exhausting business it was, wore me right  out it did......... now I defend Nikon.....and life's just that little bit easier.......still tuff mind!"    Rolleyes Huh

PS. I still defend Pentax a tiny bit......in my spare time.......

Defending or not - at some point each owner of whatever gear wants to take photos, not only test shots. With most of the new cameras came new challenges and I also experienced to look for solutions in my "old library of learnt skills" - but sometimes that's misleading and these days we can publish our frustrations pretty quick in all channels.

A friend told me he never had problems with AF on Nikon - I just don't feel tempted to destroy his personal heaven, I think, it has to do with how often one uses lenses wide open (and what "wide open" to him means, his "fastest" glass is f/2.8  ^_^ should not be much of a problem to get decent sharpness). I also know, the longer I look into something, the more questions and doubts I will find - which is my way to learn and gain confidence.

You remember my comparison experiment with PDAF and CDAF with that exact lens? I'd be curious how the Nikon 20/1.8 G would perform in those situations, but I'm too impatient for straight side-by-side comparisons.

FWIW, I can remember one Sigma Art lens where the AF was wayyyyyyyy off - the 24-105mm f/4. That was on Canon.
Deleted
Quote:FWIW, I can remember one Sigma Art lens where the AF was wayyyyyyyy off - the 24-105mm f/4. That was on Canon.
I had a Nikon body/lens combination with +18 and the 150-600 Sports + 1.4× converter needs -27 at some distances. That would be impossible to adjust without the dock. But then, those converters...

Buit I thought we were talking about AF reliability?
While we're on the subject, I bumped into this article yesterday:

http://digital-photography-school.com/3-...-focusing/

Hold on, let me grab a bag of chips, a six-pack of beers, and seat confortably on the couch.

All right, I'm ready for the show ;-)

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:While we're on the subject, I bumped into this article yesterday:
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://digital-photography-school.com/3-reasons-why-mirrorless-cameras-are-better-than-digital-slrs-for-focusing/">http://digital-photography-school.com/3-reasons-why-mirrorless-cameras-are-better-than-digital-slrs-for-focusing/</a>

Hold on, let me grab a bag of chips, a six-pack of beers, and seat confortably on the couch.

All right, I'm ready for the show ;-)

All correct... but this is no news anymore

:-)