Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bunch of Nikkor legacy primes - what to keep (to use with Sony APS-C), what to sell?
Quote:From my older Nikon system I still have a bunch of legacy prime lenses: AF-D 24mm f/2.8, AF-S 35mm f/1.8, AF-D 50mm f/1.8 (the latest model I think), AF-D 85mm f/1.8, AF-N 180mm f/2.8.

I already have a Nikon F to Sony E adapter, plus some extension tubes; in a few days I'll have another adapter with tilting capability. The basic idea is to keep a couple of those lenses for use in creative ways, including macro (with the extension tubes) and tilt (with the adapter); and sell the others. At the moment the idea is to keep the 24mm and the 50mm. But I wonder whether this is, IQ-wise (not only sharpness-oriented, but also bokeh-oriented), the best solution. Or whether there are inexpensive legacy primes of other brands that would be better than the items in my current "legacy" collection.

Ideas?
AF 24mm f2.8D, seems like the most likely candidate for that tilting adapter? 

35mm f1.8 DX (I presume, as the FF 35mm f1.8 post-dates your Nikon days), I don't see the value in keeping it. Nothing special about it, the Sony 35mm's are nicer lenses.

AF D 50mm f1.8D, the latest is an AF-S one. Bokeh is not nice, not sure what would be reasons to use it on Sony APS-C?

AF-N 180mm f2.8, what does the N mean? The Nikkor 180mm f2.8 has nice optics with a nice rendering. A bit big and heavy for a tiny mirrorless body though, so try it yourself if it makes you want to use it.

Messages In This Thread
A bunch of Nikkor legacy primes - what to keep (to use with Sony APS-C), what to sell? - by Brightcolours - 03-30-2016, 07:05 AM