Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Canon FD 58mm f1.2 super-canomatic R worth getting
Found one dirt cheap (50$) but obviously won't buy it just because it's cheap

it is easy to mount on EOS via adapter ?

Will it be a nice perdormer at f1.2 ?

was reluctant to manual focus lenses but now with live view I guess I can give it  a chance ?

The old Canon R-mount has (to my knowledge) the same short

register-distance (of 42mm) that Canon FD has. Therefore

you cannot (!) adapt it to EF without either losing the

ability to focus to infinity or with using an adapter with

an additional glaselement (which especially decreases

the optical quality of glases with large rear elements).

Likely you buy an expensive paperweight.

Just my 2 cts ... Rainer

PS: I assume you mean this lens:

http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/product/r76.html

Thanks Rainer vary valuable info (as always)

I already have great paperweights 75-300IS, 28mmf2.8, tokina 24-200
Quote:Found one dirt cheap (50$) but obviously won't buy it just because it's cheap

it is easy to mount on EOS via adapter ?

Will it be a nice perdormer at f1.2 ?

was reluctant to manual focus lenses but now with live view I guess I can give it  a chance ?
That indeed is very cheap, a steal for such a lens. Sharp enough wide open in the center if you are not a (silly?) pixel peeper,  yet a soft and "creamy" character to how it renders. Not unlike the Minolta MC 58mm f1.2, actually. Strong cats eye shapes towards the border.

You can not easily mount it on EOS, it will require a mount conversion. On APS-C it then will work fine, on FF it will hit the mirror of your 5D when focussing past 6 meters or so?

A nice lens to have if you were to get for instance a very cheap EOS M, with FD to EF-M adapter. Beautifully built lens, full of character:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]@N23/

I would advice you to buy it, just because it is dirt cheap. Then find a body to use it with.
Quote:That indeed is very cheap, a steal for such a lens. Sharp enough wide open in the center if you are not a (silly?) pixel peeper,  yet a soft and "creamy" character to how it renders. Not unlike the Minolta MC 58mm f1.2, actually. Strong cats eye shapes towards the border.

You can not easily mount it on EOS, it will require a mount conversion. On APS-C it then will work fine, on FF it will hit the mirror of your 5D when focussing past 6 meters or so?

A nice lens to have if you were to get for instance a very cheap EOS M, with FD to EF-M adapter. Beautifully built lens, full of character:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]@N23/

I would advice you to buy it, just because it is dirt cheap. Then find a body to use it with.
If you are interested I can get it and ship it to you, after Rainer advice I am not interested anymore.
Quote:If you are interested I can get it and ship it to you, after Rainer advice I am not interested anymore.
That is very friendly of you :-). However, at this point in time I am not interested because I have two 55mm f1.2 lenses. 
You can always get one for the ones that haven't been so lucky... Smile