Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need spare part for Canon 75-300 IS
My old 75-300 has stopped functioning with blurry images at all focals and aperture. Sent it to Canon they told me the IS unit is faulty and they stopped manufacturing parts for this lens.

This is not a very old lens and now we have shortage of parts.

Anyone knows how can I find this part ?

I already have other Tele and I never use this lens however I prefer repair and sell than throwing it in the garbage can.
Actually, this is one of the worst lenses, that Canon has ever manufactured, so I would simply throw it away, as its bad quality is quite well-known and I doubt you will sell it at a reasonable price.

So why first repair it - which will be quite costly, provided you can get hold of a spare part at all - and then sell it for approx. 30 Euros oder 40 Dollars?

Actually I thought that this lens hasn't been in production for about 15 years now???

Quote:I already have other Tele and I never use this lens however I prefer repair and sell than throwing it in the garbage can.
Of course you shouldn't trash it; there are proper recycling procedures for that.

Quote:Actually I thought that this lens hasn't been in production for about 15 years now???

Of course you shouldn't trash it; there are proper recycling procedures for that.
Probably a bit less, the 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM is about 11 years old now. Keep the lens for the mount and electronics for future DIY adapter stuff, not for photography ;-) 
Told you guys  have no intentions of reusing this lens, however it would sell easily her for at least 200$, that's why I intend to repair and sell.

My mistake. Per the Canon camera museum, the 75-300 IS was from 1995, and the 70-300 IS from 2005. I thought the latter was released circa 2000.

Quote:Told you guys  have no intentions of reusing this lens, however it would sell easily her for at least 200$, that's why I intend to repair and sell.
Ok, I can understand that, but I guess the repair costs will exceed the resale, always provided you find someone who can actually repair the lens - which I doubt.
You guys are so spoiled!  The 75-300mm IS USM isn't that bad.  Early on there was a serious focus issue if you were pointing the camera upwards.  If repaired (for free until now, I guess) it wasn't that bad.  The 70-300 was a pretty big improvement, and Tamron makes a better one for less.  Heh, heh, mine hasn't been used since I was using my T1i.  I tested it on real life subjects against the EFS 55-250 IS, and quite a few lenses.  There wasn't much difference other than the EFS lens was lighter.  In fact I sort liked the color saturation of the larger lens.  I know people love to trash cheap lenses, so have fun, but it hasn't seemed prudent to me to replace it with another zoom of the same zoom range.  So, mines just sitting around because it is FF compatible - though I don't have a FF camera at present.  Now i have the 55-250 IS STM, so until the FF comes along it isn't in much demand. 

I hesitate to ask, and if it's not proper to ask, just ignore it, but why so expensive in Lebanon?  (California's a long way away...).

Also, I feel compelled to point out that eBay has many examples of the lens for sale.  At $150 one has 17 bids on it.  I don't know what they actually get for them...I would sell mine for that, but most are asking around $200.  Maybe you guys get better deals than I do, although I did buy two perfectly good lenses for $3 apiece recently.  Old Japanese legacy glass, but rather fun to use.

Quote:You guys are so spoiled!  The 75-300mm IS USM isn't that bad.  Early on there was a serious focus issue if you were pointing the camera upwards.  If repaired (for free until now, I guess) it wasn't that bad.  The 70-300 was a pretty big improvement, and Tamron makes a better one for less.  Heh, heh, mine hasn't been used since I was using my T1i.  I tested it on real life subjects against the EFS 55-250 IS, and quite a few lenses.  There wasn't much difference other than the EFS lens was lighter.  In fact I sort liked the color saturation of the larger lens.  I know people love to trash cheap lenses, so have fun, but it hasn't seemed prudent to me to replace it with another zoom of the same zoom range.  So, mines just sitting around because it is FF compatible - though I don't have a FF camera at present.  Now i have the 55-250 IS STM, so until the FF comes along it isn't in much demand. 

I hesitate to ask, and if it's not proper to ask, just ignore it, but why so expensive in Lebanon?  (California's a long way away...).
You are confusing the EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM with the 75-300mm IS USM.