Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irix 15mm f/2.4
Indeed, the Canon version has electronic contacts, all the shots of the lenses are of the Canon version. There is no aperture ring/aperture scale on the Canon version, so it all means it does have electronic aperture control.

400 GBP and 650 GBP
Actually 500/650EUR in the Netherlands.

Other than the business address there doesn't seem to be much Swiss in these lenses.
I disagree at "only business address"  Wink because they claim the design to be Swiss. I don't see much Korean in the design, but that could be prejudice. On one place of the website they blurb as well about Swiss as also Korean precision on another place...

If I made a correct research, they are involved in "Neutrino coating", the TH Swiss AG in Baar/ZG was founded 2015 (!) by two guys and another guy is a representative. Interesting. Appears to be a start-up.

I agree, the prices are far away from Alpa, Bolex, Elinchrom or ArcaSwiss (which don't have much to do with Switzerland anymore).

The pictures are quite good on their website and the line-up of accessories show also some sense of practical things. So, if I were in the market for a reasonably fast ultra-wide, I would give Irix more credit than Samyang - but what, if Samyang just decided to create a "luxury brand" like Volkswagen did with Maybach or Bugatti? Alright, it's an exaggerated example. But still, it looks cool and serious. And if the pictures were really done with that lens without much correction, I'd say they are impressive enough to be curious at least.

A couple of fellows did a bit of research around this.

One of the founders is the owner of foto-tip which is in turn the European distributor for Samyang.

Now Samyang is also pretty much the only lens manufacturer of lenses in Korea ...

The office is Switzerland is mostly a letterbox.

Just citing ...  

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.p...c=29382.45
The "Swiss wolves coat" made me nearly spill my coffee, it's like "the alcoholics driving school" or the "Russian ministry for peace and equality".

Thanks for the link. Btw. when I was looking for a website of ArcaSwiss, I also found only those kind of informations, because they moved to Nimes/France and don't even have a business represenative with their logo in CH. Now, conclusions about their goods?  <_<

I think, nobody would believe Samyang to make better lenses in terms of quality control, so they need a new brand and a new outfit. Nonetheless, some of their features are pretty nice, aren't they?

And there are Neutrinos in each coating, I guess  :lol:

There would be nothing wrong with Samyang going more premium - assuming that these speculations have substance.

I could also well believe that the finish was actually designed in Switzerland.

Just a start up out of nowhere feels a little unlikely but you never know. Things are easier these days.

IF these price tags are true I am having a few doubts about the quality of the QC though. South-Korea is hardly a cheap place. The current Samyangs are cheaper but they are also simpler.

Another interesting thing - the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is having a sell-out at the foto-tip ...

Ahh, rumors are so much fun ... ;-)
At the other side, Sigmas are produced in Japan and don't cost much more than those Irix, at least the primes are usually around 750-850 $. I paid a bit more than 800 francs for the 20/1.4 and the irix is "only" f/2.4. (Btw., soembody announced a test for the 20/1.4, but maybe that was a rumor, too?  Big Grin )

price difference between Art/Sports or Contemporary is also roughly the same like Samyang Irix shows with their two versions.

So, not entirely impossible...

The Sigma 20mm review is coming but it got delayed by a Sony 90mm ;-)