Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried about High Sierra
My MPB is currently running Sierra. I planned the upgrade to High Sierra for Christmas, since in Italy we usually have a rather long holidays and there's time to work on it without being pressured by my job, including having time in order to fix some major problem. BTW, I've still to check whether all the apps I'm using are compatible.

But I'm worried as some people, e.g. digilloyd, is reporting to have tons of problems with the upgrade:

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20171125_...ubles.html

Including a very bad performance with the new file system, APFS - curiously, it's one of the things I was eager to have...

Does anybody experience similar issues?

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
It's currently running on my MacBook Pro from 2015. For occasional FaceTime and some playing around with a CaptureOne Beta. If I say "no issues so far", then it's from less than two hours/week. I don't like using laptops. But SuperDuper is now available to backup even the new file type so I hop in time the issues will disappear. Very often the uneven version of Mac OS were producing more bugs or malfunctions. A couple of times I skipped updating (never used 10.9, 10.7 was installing and after a while back to 10.6 for a very long time)

Edit: Just checked: the main SSD is APFS formatted. Music and pictures are on a different drive which is Mac OS journaled. That drive is no SSD. I remember some posts in a Mac forum years ago complaining how badly Apple is treating SSD, but none of mine ever collapsed (three so far).

And the update went pretty straightforward with a longer wait because of the new file system, but now it's behaving the way it was before. I cannot say something bad. But I don't do any challenging stuff with it. Are the long copying times because of the transformation from AFPS to Mac OS? I always separate OS from data partitions.

Just tried to copy the Library of the system to the data drive. It took a while to count up to 150.000 objects, it will need 5 min for 14 GB - for this tiny files, it appears reasonable to me.
Just got myself a MBP and updated to High Sierra. So far - no issues (within my use cases).

Smooth upgrade here, too, both on my 2016 MBP as well the (officially no longer supported) 2008 Mac Pro. Updated on first day (since I never had severe issues with any upgrade since 10.4).

The only minor issues I have found so far are:

- Aperture (officially not compatible with High Sierra) reliably crashes when I connect my iPhone to the MBP. Seems it can't open the import dialogue or can't handle that the iPhone is locked

- File open/File save dialogue window opens too small in old applications and needs to be resized to be usable (happens in Aperture and Office for Mac 2011, for example).

Otherwise, thinks just work here. As usual.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Thanks for the answers - I guess that guy hit a very specific upgrade issue.

But... beware of this:

https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-s...hack-root/

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Just got a "Black Friday" MBA yesterday evening, just now checked your link with the root issue:  :blink: these bloody bastards of infantile, irresponsible gameboys really f***ed up big time. How can a quality control can pass such a crap?

Okay, one needs to be on the computer in person, but still... I'll check tonight with Sierra. Did I mention the uneven versions as buggy?

Sidenote: I just tried to quickview a D850 RAW - not displaying. Apple again the last at the RAW party. They're just to busy to work on how to hide their benefits best!

Newsflash: there apparently exists an obscure operating system called Microsoft Windows. Anyone tried it?  Rolleyes

Uhm, yeah, started with version 2.03, sticked to it for two decades before switching sides. Never looked back Wink

Regarding the (no doubt silly) root issue: use the directory tool to enable and password protect the root account and you're safe until the unavoidable update is released.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Windows? The virus and trojan magnet? Yeah, why not. 95 was plenty of fun, 8 as well.  :wacko:

Good idea Markus, I just was not aware until today that a root account is existing without having created it actively.

It exists, but usually is disabled by default. For now, actively enabling it solves the issue. But remember to disable the account again once Apple releases the update.

P.S.: nothing beats Win ME in terms of fun Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com