Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried about High Sierra
Just don't type "root"..... In my office we finally got approved to go to the latest Sierra version. We had to wait for Apple to fix the security flaws first and then verify them. It'll probably some time before we can go to HS.

Unfortunately we also had security issues with the latest iOS... Are the apples starting to fall of the trees?

Quote:Newsflash: there apparently exists an obscure operating system called Microsoft Windows. Anyone tried it?  Rolleyes
Do you mean that OS that for security verification asks if it is ok that a certain for software thing wants to do something, asking you to click yes or no?  Big Grin  :lol:  :blink:  :wacko:
Quote:Do you mean that OS that for security verification asks if it is ok that a certain for software thing wants to do something, asking you to click yes or no?  Big Grin  :lol:  :blink:  :wacko:
You make it sound like it's a bad thing.  Rolleyes After all, one's life is their own responsibility and they can choose whichever way of dealing with it.  Tongue
Here's the fix already:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208315
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:You make it sound like it's a bad thing.  Rolleyes After all, one's life is their own responsibility and they can choose whichever way of dealing with it.  Tongue

Yeah, one should accept Windows as a philosophical challenge. Not meant to work with but giving us a lot to think about life, universe and the rest.

Speaking of challenge: Last two weeks I was busy with an update from  Win 7 to Win 10. Hours and hours to transfer preferences, making screenshots (!) of printer settings to transfer it to the new machine. Last night I got a new Mac. Within one hour I was good to go, transferred profiles, preferences and apps from another Mac to the new one. It's nearly a pity that they last so long - migrating form one to anotehrn machine is such an easy game...  Big Grin

Haha... I feel that I've been treading on someone else's religion (not equivalence this time, for a change). Big Grin I dunno what people have been doing with their Windows to have such problems (that have turned into Common Wisdom of the Internets, apparently Smile), but the last version to give me existential problems was the ole' 95, some 20 years ago. Smile

P. S. Of course I can say I've been consciously avoiding trouble by switching to NT based systems as soon as possible (about when 4.0 was all the rage), but let's face it, using 98/ME is asking for trouble in itself. Smile Nobody can be justified for doing this consciously.
Perhaps we could discuss about the Windows / MacOS equivalence...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:Haha... I feel that I've been treading on someone else's religion (not equivalence this time, for a change). Big Grin I dunno what people have been doing with their Windows to have such problems (that have turned into Common Wisdom of the Internets, apparently Smile), but the last version to give me existential problems was the ole' 95, some 20 years ago. Smile

P. S. Of course I can say I've been consciously avoiding trouble by switching to NT based systems as soon as possible (about when 4.0 was all the rage), but let's face it, using 98/ME is asking for trouble in itself. Smile Nobody can be justified for doing this consciously.

Yes, I was just about to write a similar thing. I don't get the Apple religion? Every apple downfall is considered a feature! Every fix gets praised. In my office we definitely have to run security software on our macs, not just pc's.They're just as vulnerable. I'm convinced people just remember the old days of 20 years ago.

Conversely, people also often forget where Mac's were at 20 years ago. I used Mac at the company I was at. I spent 99% of the time on it running a Windows emulator to do any work. FWIW, I  spent more time with "issues" on my ex wife's mac than my w7 pc.

I think the truth is more is comes down to what you're used to. I have a droid and an iphone. I despise my iphone. The droid is just easier for me and takes less steps to use and do. But my first smart phone was a droid. Likewise, if you've been using a mac and go to window 10 I'm sure it seems harder.

I miss the good old days when you did graphics on an Amiga :wub:
Quote:You make it sound like it's a bad thing.  Rolleyes After all, one's life is their own responsibility and they can choose whichever way of dealing with it.  Tongue
And you think it is NOT a bad thing?

The Mac needs you to type your password with such changes, to make sure it is the owner and not someone else or indeed malware (it is easy for malware to just press the "yes" button, you know).

So your solution this High Sierra issue, where the root user password can be empty, you suggest an OS that never asks for any password? 

Quote:Yes, I was just about to write a similar thing. I don't get the Apple religion? Every apple downfall is considered a feature! Every fix gets praised. In my office we definitely have to run security software on our macs, not just pc's.They're just as vulnerable. I'm convinced people just remember the old days of 20 years ago.

Conversely, people also often forget where Mac's were at 20 years ago. I used Mac at the company I was at. I spent 99% of the time on it running a Windows emulator to do any work. FWIW, I  spent more time with "issues" on my ex wife's mac than my w7 pc.

I think the truth is more is comes down to what you're used to. I have a droid and an iphone. I despise my iphone. The droid is just easier for me and takes less steps to use and do. But my first smart phone was a droid. Likewise, if you've been using a mac and go to window 10 I'm sure it seems harder.

I miss the good old days when you did graphics on an Amiga :wub:
There still just really are no mac virusses. Malware for the mac is also very few and far between. I love when Windows users try to play the equivalence game. 

That they "have to run security software on your macs" just shows the bureaucracy and lack of knowledge of management/IT staff.