Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 20mm review coming ...
Quote:One aspect is surprising about this lens ...

Ehm .... you don't notice the weight?

;-)

Quote:Ehm .... you don't notice the weight?

;-)

Optically ... ;-)
Quote:Optically ... ;-)
Da boken? Big Grin
Da bokeh is fat, bro! [Image: pirat20x17.gif]

True dat! (I guess a 20mm f/1.4 lens can have a pretty unique signature...)

Yes, it can. Only trouble is, the camera's AF or whoever runs the focus-lever should do a very good job...

Some cool shots in that gallery (others not so much...) But in a pinch one can use LiveView 10x magnification, and in a really desperate case, focus manually. I know I've done that, despite being averse to MF...

It's contradicting the intended use: any f/1.4 lens I own, I bought to be able taking pictures in dark places. If that means, I have to use LV and focus manually because PDAF cannot deliver the necessary accuracy then why bother about f/1.4 lenses in general? For fast wide angles it's much tougher to get a precise AND quick AF.

I already compared PDAF with CDAF on that lens, there's no single picture when PDAF was more precise although I did AFMA - what else can I do?. To do AFMA, you need to be really close at the target: 20 mm × 50 = 1 m distance, but what about infinity and what about those big AF points which leave me totally in uncertainty where this thing will focus?
Quote:It's contradicting the intended use: any f/1.4 lens I own, I bought to be able taking pictures in dark places. If that means, I have to use LV and focus manually because PDAF cannot deliver the necessary accuracy then why bother about f/1.4 lenses in general? For fast wide angles it's much tougher to get a precise AND quick AF.

I already compared PDAF with CDAF on that lens, there's no single picture when PDAF was more precise although I did AFMA - what else can I do?. To do AFMA, you need to be really close at the target: 20 mm × 50 = 1 m distance, but what about infinity and what about those big AF points which leave me totally in uncertainty where this thing will focus?
Your demands are elevated indeed. I know my 24/1.4 L is mediocre for AF accuracy in the dark unless I'm using it at point blank range (and even then...) Serves me right for trying to shoot distant subjects below f/2. Smile The 16-35/4L IS is sometimes a better choice... despite being 3 stops slower, it seems to have a much greater hit rate. The shutter speed is the only concern in this case.

Deleted