Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tamron 150-600
hard luck, the lens was sold to someone else,,,

Quote:Might be exchanging it for 24-105f4L is it a good idea ?

Not really ... just from the numbers ... you want to swap

a 150-600 with a 24-105 ... ok ... both are 4x zooms ...

but that is about where the similarities end.

These are entirely different lenses ... whatever you do

with a 150-600 ... a 24-105 is pretty much useless for ...

and vice versa.

Just my 2cts...Rainer
Hi Rainer, good to see you back here.

After being my favorite lens for a while, I am barely using 24-105 and was gonna sell it anyway since I changed my setup. Now I am only using 5D for portaits using 100mm f2.8 macro while 750D is my carry on camera.

24-105f4 isn't much useful on 750D when you have 17-55f2.8 IS

150-600 isn't available anymore unfortunately
Quote: I waited patiently for the promised review here of the Tamron (and the Sigma Sport 150-600mm)....but to no avail...so it gives me great pleasure to give you after 10 months or so of hands on experience, my findings of the lens....

Firstly it's very hand-holdable, decently constructed and perfectly adapted to birding and nature photography...

The VC is for the most part very good and hand held shots can be taken at slow shutter speeds at shorter and medium focal lengths, but as Klaus said, towards longer focal lengths it can do more harm than good, I find when shooting a stationary subject it's OKish, but it really comes unstuck when panning, here you are unlikely to get better than 10% of sharp shots. However, it is great help on a tripod where at 600mm vibration of the camera is nicely ironed out to perfect stability.

Sharpness.....From 150-300mm it's very sharp even wide open......300-450mm F7.1-8 and up it's also very sharp....450-600mm F8 is the minimum and F9-13 gives best results...... it still does give very decent results at 600mm.......with a bit of practice.

Autofocus........For a lens in it's price range the AF is fast and more to the point "very accurate" (AFMA set at -2)  it seems to nail the focus 90-95% of the time and reacts quickly to changes....(slight caveat is black birds, it struggles when panning small birds sometimes, this I think is just a short fall F5-6.3 aperture)  

APSc bodies....the lens is tested most on the smaller sensor....where the magnification of image size tests it's sharpness. 

Full frame.........here the lens does better on the larger sensor even resolving adequately out to the corners.

Bokeh is slightly gritty, but typical for tele-zooms, not better not worse......however onion rings are visible in specular highlights/sparkling water etc.

Typically when birding I shoot at 1/1600 at F9-11 the lens being used most at 600mm.....VC is firmly in the off position.

Since I bought it, it has been my go to lens and I've had more pleasure from it than any other optic I've owned.........

As they say on PZ.......Highly recommended  Plenty of sample images here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

I'm also looking out for the Sigma Sport, if anyone has any propositions. (Klaus?)
some very solid photograpy dave; and a cpl truly excellent (LOVE the maximus piegon).

But!

Why can't I see what lens/body you use in your flickr pages? Shy? Paranoid? Hunted? lol

Quote:some very solid photograpy dave; and a cpl truly excellent (LOVE the maximus piegon).

But!

Why can't I see what lens/body you use in your flickr pages? Shy? Paranoid? Hunted? lol

Thanks Bob,

Actually you can see what lens and what body, but my Irfinview removes the exif data, if you look in show all groups you will see K3/D7100/D750 and some at least of the lenses, I stop short of settings.

cpl?

Quote:The VC sucks at 600mm ...

Further comment on the Tamron's VC at 600mm.....

....... As has been said, the Tamron's VC stabilizing system has it's faults at the long end.......shots taken at 1/1600 sec. are invariably blurred with the VC system "on", so I switch it off!...... but using shutter speeds of 1/125-320 sec.the VC produces perfectly sharp results with no trace of shake/movement ( given a statistical 80% success rate). Lower SS are possible down to 1/80-120 sec. but no risks for me!

I know it is recommended to not use VC at higher shutter speeds......and the system operates at high(ish) frequency.....nonetheless it does seem strange that at the relatively high shutter speed of 1/1600 sec. the VC manages to make consistently blurred images.

During a series of hand held bird shooting I was getting a very good success rate of sharp images with the VC "on" compared to results with it "off" at 600mm @ 1/320 sec.

Overall I would say that apart from the viewfinder image jumps a little, it stabilizes pretty well, the biggest problem is remembering to switch it off again when shooting high shutter speeds and when panning...... a link to an indicator in the viewfinder would be a clever touch......as has the K3's VF hand symbol.