Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 APS-C
The design of the camera is thought to attach an additional battery grip PG-41 which adds the capacity of two more dedicated BP-61 batteries :blink: . So, in total 3 batteries and a comparatively small body. Sigma appears to give up their DSLR line and brings the quattro / merrill concept into this new line. I think it makes sense for them and expect the dp0/1/2/3 quattro being discontinued once they can deliver their new SD line. I can't see a reason to keep them in the making.

Interesting times to come up. Some of the DinosaurSLRs are also packed with goodies and on a very high level of development, Pentax finally tries to show up with a slightly late, but very affordable FF and CaNikon will at some time release their idea of mirrorless systems.

I must be seeing a different product than you...

The DP series hardly got 100 images per charge, so adding 2 more will still not reach entry level DSLR battery life. 

The DP Quattro series is small-ish (just weirdly wide), with a lens that can be small because of the short distance of optics to sensor.

The new SDs are not small at all. They can't have similarly small lenses as the DP series either, due to the flange distance that is the same as the DSLRs. It is wider than my FF DSLR, it is thicker than my FF DSLR. It is just 1.5cm less high than my FF DSLR. It is only 145 grams less heavy than my FF DSLR (and that is without that battery grip you mention). And then it can only be used with heavy Sigma FF DSLR lenses.

Seems like this Sigma SinoDaur is already way behind the pack before it is released, with its mediocre noise performance, very low DR, no weight and size advantage over DSLRs, no flange distance advantage over any camera so no small lens advantage. And going by the history of Sigma, slow and in many ways awkward firmware. And being chained to their RAW conversion?

I am sure this camera has some nice points. I am also sure that overall it will have to be just a niche player. Not drinking the Sigma Kool Aid....

Drink something else [Image: dring27x25.gif]

The DP series has smallish batteries: 3.6V, 1250 mAh, 4.5Wh Don't know how they managed to empty them faster than one can charge. The Quattro batteries are double size and come with 7.2 V, 1200 mAh and 8.7 Wh. The new BP51 is a bit bigger than the Quattro's but it has to serve an EVF, LCD and second LCD for the camera data. Again: The DP series is about 5 years or even older - taking them as sample for prejudices about battery life or AF speed might turn out wrong.

I didn't check the body dimensions, I just saw the 35/1.4 in front of it and it made the camera look "normal", but seeing the hand at the grip, it is pretty high.

[Image: image03.jpg]

[Image: 8066947231.jpg]

[Image: 4764957091.jpg]

The depth of it is due to the flange distance which is the same as Canon, I think. About 1.5 cm is finder, maybe 3 or 3.5 real camera and the rest of the 9 cm is the tube. As you could see, reducing the tube and developing an entirely new mount would not gain much size reduction unless you do it at the cost of the grip. Just to add a genuine or third party grip? The idea "mirrorless has to be smaller than DSLR" is leading the wrong path. At the end a manufacturer needs to develop a whole new line of mirrorless lenses. I can see the point if the body is already small, but high performance AF lenses don't come all as pancakes.

[Image: 1916858737.jpg]

Wherever you got the idea from it's only for FF lenses, I just don't think it's true. The sd quattro without H is just an ordinary APS-C size camera - enough lenses around for that. The H version maybe needs FF lenses but even if so - so what? I just wait to get more information, right now I think Sigma did the right thing with those two bodies. And again, they developed more things than only a mirriorless body:

[Image: 0478581308.jpg]

Yes, that's a dock for their flash to update firmware.

But it is no compact system - for me it has not to be, I see the Sigmas more as small medium format cameras. Resolution wise, even with a grin towards Sigma's equivalence maths, it comes close to a Pentax 645. My D810 has more than 1kg without lens, but ready to snap. And without battery grip which adds another 350 gr.

Not your cup of tea, stick with your great Canon and legacy lenses as long as you like the results. (Note: This is in no way meant cynical or sarcastic)

Edit: I just linked some pictures from DPREeview

I for sure will not be wanting a SD Quattro, H or not. As you know by now, I like OVF. The Sigma has a EVF. I like AA-filters (not a fan of aliasing/oversharpening)). The Sigma has aliasing issues due to no AA-filter. At times I need high ISO, the Sigma is not good at high ISOs. 

I also like the DOF ability the FF sensor gives me, the main reason I went from APS-C to FF.

The only advantage of the Sigma is the bit higher resolution, but I have yet to run into a limitation with the 20mp I have now, maybe that will change in future.

No, I can't yet think of any feature of the Sigma that is actually alluring to me that other cameras do not have. So indeed, I will for a while (I am sure) keep using my 6D as my main photographic tool. It is still a nice camera which does not get in the way of one's photography.

I would never have looked into Foveon sensors if I haven't had seen prints of them and if at a certain moment the dp 1/2/3 Merrill would not have been too "cheap" not to try one. With all their disadvantages comes of course a kind of relief: It will never be any close to a universal photo-tool. But within it's limits and with their very special kind of structures what you see as fake sharpness (while I just consider your AA filters as even more fake anti-aliasing of a basically not less digital way to catch a picture), they are doing a nice job for me. I've seen more overly sharpened Bayer sensor pics than "fake sharpness" Sigma pics. Btw, what is "fake sharpness"? If there's such a thing then there must be as well "real sharpness". Defined by who? How? Who decides what is right,- over- and under-sharp? You see it your way, fine, you don't need to like my pictures. In fact, nobody does have to like them except me.  Wink

I would rarely take the Sigmas without a backup camera to a place I don't know what's expecting me. They spend weeks in the cupboard. And I'm aware if I bring home a lot pictures I'll get punished with hours of RAW-processing. So I take less, but more good ones. It's a different approach and from time to time nice - not better, not worse. Also, if I really turn my back towards DSLR, I can send all Sigma lenses in and get them back with a Sigma mount. I reckon that won't cost more than what I would loose if I sell them second hand.

For such a small camera manufacturer they come up with some nice design and they keep their line. Bigger companies are less daring. The won't eat a big slice of CaNikon's cake, so why do you care at all about their exotic cameras? 9 AF-points, that's kind of lame, I know, but there's focus peaking as well. EVF vs OVF? Enough pros and cons on both sides, but to focus manually the EVF wins every time in terms of precision. 

Quote: 

The only advantage of the Sigma is the bit higher resolution, but I have yet to run into a limitation with the 20mp I have now, maybe that will change in future.

Yeah, just about 100...150% more than your still enough 20 MP  Rolleyes who cares?

The world does not fit magically in a square pixel grid. The pixels have arbitrary edges. Using no AA-filter leads to... fake sharpness, imagined sharpness or imposed pixel grid sharpness. Aliasing. Just how things are, and I am no fan of that.

You can use the silly Sigma "resolution" kool aid all you like, it remains nonsense though. It has a 25mp sensor. 

BC, I tried and failed again: Your Kool Aid is the shit you keep on telling, based on very old stories, incapability of learn something new, and using plain wrong arguments like "needs FF lenses". If you ever find a printer able to print squarish dots, or a monitor with round pixels which is not antialiasing by default, you can come again to ride your dead "fake sharpness" horse.

Now you can run again to Klaus and report my post, I don't care. It's not that I like Sigma like you are tied to your Canon, it's just you're full of acid anger about everything Non-Canon.

Quote:BC, I tried and failed again: Your Kool Aid is the shit you keep on telling, based on very old stories, incapability of learn something new, and using plain wrong arguments like "needs FF lenses". If you ever find a printer able to print squarish dots, or a monitor with round pixels which is not antialiasing by default, you can come again to ride your dead "fake sharpness" horse.

Now you can run again to Klaus and report my post, I don't care. It's not that I like Sigma like you are tied to your Canon, it's just you're full of acid anger about everything Non-Canon.

Nothing wrong to note that it needs FF lenses, which makes it even way more big than the DP series. Where those were compact, this camera simply is not.

Where mirrorless usually allows for some size loss, this camera is about as big as a DSLR, and will not have a size advantage with short focal length lenses, which other mirrorless cameras do have.

No idea why you feel those are "wrong arguments".

That you do not get what aliasing is, and why saying that monitors have square pixels too so AA-filters are not needed is too silly for words, I can't help.

Simply read up on sampling theory, to understand why AA-filters are not nonsense. Again, it is fine that you like the fake sharpness and false detail. It is just as fine, that others do not. That I do not. So, yes, I can write that I don't like it. I never liked oversharpening images in PP either, which gives the same issues.

You are the one who time and time again makes angry posts. Me being factual is just that, me being factual.

I have really liked my non-Canon Sigma lens (18-50mm), my friend has it now. That you have the conviction that Canon can't do anything right, that is your own fault. Yes, I like my 6D, it just is a camera that is well thought out and easy to use. Yes, I can like other cameras too. I can also dislike Canon cameras, no issue there either. You imagine way too much. I like many lenses from many manufacturers too, including of course Sigma. And I dislike certain Canon lenses too.

Again, I can't help your projections. It is fine for you to like everything Sigma, And it is fine for me to be more realistic about this camera and point out the obvious.

I can be factual and point out negatives from the Canon 6D too: It has low resolution in today's FF landscape, it is not suited well for high FPS shooting situations, its battery life is not among the best for instance. It is not hard to look at things objectively. It does not have a 100% view finder. Funny thing is, Nikon says the D750 does have a 100% view finder. But people testing that find that the D750 has the same coverage as the 6D. Go figure.

Drink the Kool Aid, or not drinking the Kool Aid is an american expression, and comes from the forced suicide of the cult from Jim Jones in the 70's (the pre-AF era  Wink ).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...e+kool-aid

One lasting legacy of the Jonestown tragedy is the saying, “Don’t drink the Kool-Aid.” This has come to mean, "Don’t trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side." or "Whatever they tell you, don't believe it too strongly".
This would be interesting combined with the new sigma e mount adaptor and a a6300 for more fast paced action. Share the lenses between the two.

The adaptor is for lenses with Canon mount to put in front of Sony bodies. The Sigma cameras use Sigma mount directly. Maybe I don't get it, but I don't see an adaptor in front of a Sigma SD. Do you mean as a second camera together with Sigma camera + Sigma lenses? Nobody else makes lenses for Sigma mount, so the bodies are already limited to their own lenses.