Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 APS-C
I believe it can do SA as well as EF mount lenses.

So:
  • Sigma SD body + sigma lenses for more considered work
  • sony body + adaptor + same sigma lenses for more dynamic / low light work

Of course other interesting combinations would be possible:
  • Canon crop DSLR + sigma ef lenses for sports
  • Sony A7 + adapter + same ef mount sigma lenses for low light, slower moving subjects
Gosh, where to start...

Well, I'm not enticed by the APS-H sensor in itself - although it's kinda nice to have a smaller than FF (so the worst corners go away) but larger than APS-C sensor. Although I fully admit that if I had wanted the maximum compatibility and utility, the best option would've been to go all APS-C (say, 7D and now 7D Mark II) because there's a smattering of excellent dedicated APS-C lenses but only select few work well on APS-H. But I dig the Canon 1D series for what they are as a sum of all parts: great AF (when sorting old photos done with xxD and other similar cameras, I find too many shots that are OOF for no reason), tank-like build, integrated vertical grip (though now I all but stopped shooting vertical frames altogether because I'm working in an online news portal, and they don't accept vertical photos since they wreak havoc with the page layout). And, I have to admit this, there's a fair share of machismo in owning and using 1D series cameras (or a Nikon single-digit body for that matter) because when I was starting off, only a handful of people in the whole city of 4,5 million could afford / would needa 1D series unit (1D Mark II - not even the 'N' version - was the current one at that time). Now, of course, everyone and their grandmother is sporting a 1D X or similar fare but that impression from my young days must have stuck. Big Grin

Quote:On the bright side: Maybe the 50-100mm f1.8 will cover APS-H, so it can be used on the new Quattro-H. So that may be good new for you, Rover.
But these Quattros... oh my God. First off they should've been E mount, coming with an adapter (that has been co-announced incidentally) and without that protrusion that screams "I'm Pentax K-01's bastard step-sibling!" Second, the body shape is... odd to say the least. The bottom tapers up right where it should've stayed flat because the goddamn thing probably becomes too flimsy to hold and the pinky finger will likely hang in the air. Third... the SA mount, dafooq!  <_< Obviously I can't comment on the innards or the operational issues, but somehow I don't get all hot and bothered when looking at these new girls on the block, sorry BC.  Rolleyes

P.S. There's a decently long list of APS-C lenses that work well on APS-H cameras, compiled by myself and a few like-minded nutters over at FredMiranda.com. Smile Though I suspect since they're not releasing a camera with a mount other than the SA, we can't be treated to the unholy sight of a Tamron lens mounted on a Sigma body just yet. Smile
Quote: 

I believe it can do SA as well as EF mount lenses.

So:
  • Sigma SD body + sigma lenses for more considered work
  • sony body + adaptor + same sigma lenses for more dynamic / low light work

Of course other interesting combinations would be possible:
  • Canon crop DSLR + sigma ef lenses for sports
  • Sony A7 + adapter + same ef mount sigma lenses for low light, slower moving subjects

No, there are two adapters, not only one:

<p style="font-size:15px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, serif;">Sigma announced a new MC-11 AF mount adapter for Sony E camera. Two different versions are available:
<p style="font-size:15px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, serif;">Features:

<ul class="">[*]Adapts Sigma SA/Canon EF lenses to Sony E body
[*]Integrated LED displays compatibility
[*]Maintains autofocus and auto-exposure
[*]Supports in-camera correction features
[*]Flocked interior reduces reflections
[*]Retains EXIF data
</ul>
It would have been nice if they could have used different model numbers! I was wondering how it would support two different mounts in the one adaptor.

Rover, "these Quattros" are replacing the SD-14, SD-15, SD-1. Did you use any of these? They can't an won't compete with your machismo machine, although I think they can generate suich an effect together with the batterie grip. You just need to stick a "CANON" logo on them - oh, no, that won't work: Canon's plasticfantastic round design with the cheap looking shutter release button is too easy to recognize by all and their grannies.

Well, I guess, the new SD line is just not for all and their grannies  :lol: As well as not for BC or you or your grannies. [Image: oldno23x25.gif]

chrismiller, Sigma uses different numbers: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/ca...converter/

MC-11 is only the first part of identity, after that it has to be specidfied by mount. They use this code on all their lenses.

Also. AF is only possible for AF-S (using Sigma lenses with Canon or Sigma mount), NOT with AFA or AFC, that's a bit of a downer, isn't it?

AFC hasn't been a strong point of e mount so far, so maybe my second scenario might be the prefered (DSLR + EF for sports, e mount + adaptor for everything else)

The art lenses are not the most compact of beings, especially on an a7/a6x00 body. I might give up on this idea...

I would still like the nikon 300mm pf on a e mount body...

The cool thing on this lens is, it can be used wide open with no problem - occassionally I had it in front of my Fuji X-E2, with focus peaking. The less cool thing: The focus ring is not well enough damped and it's difficult to get precise sharpness handheld.

Sheesh... chill, nobody is attacking you. Smile I was just commenting on the external appearance and (presumed) operational bottlenecks on a bunch of (yet unreleased) cameras and you're up in arms. Smile No I have not tried any of the Sigma SLRs - well, I wasn't making comments about them anyway, was I? I'm not working in a gear shop - that would've been the only way to handle the equipment I don't own myself (or have borrowed). My point was that APS-H sensor alone doesn't make these cameras desirable for me. You have your own measuring stick - that's fine, and I have mine.

P.S. The battery grip does indeed solve one issue - the odd shape of the bottom plate that seems to run counter to handholdability (it's hard to tell however since I can't quite get a hang of the scale). My comment on the psychological aspect of owning the 1D bodies was tongue-in-cheek but you bit that one, too. Big Grin

P.P.S. Speaking of Kool-Aid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKOX_glUyY

I didn't feel attacked. I just think, the Sigma designers did some real good work off the beaten track. I also never used a Sigma DSLR, I'm only familiar with the dp-line. And sorry, I like their design, too. I was just teasing you with Canon because I also know people who don't like the curvy bodies with their plasticky surfaces. I know, the tough stuff is under the skin.

I thought it would be already clear that I don't debate the exotic way Sigma is going with their cameras. They are no mainstream and have a bunch of limits. I just think, we're sometimes not aware that each system brings it's limits because we're used to them.

Of course, one (always the same person) can say, they are years behind the pack. It's just, the pack isn't offering higher resolving EVF. 2.36 MP, for more one had to choose a Leica SL with 4 MP. PDAF and CDAF are also combined AF techniques for contemporary mirrorless and the DR can be delivered by an in-camera HDR feature (which probably will let the computer explode, calculating an HDR for 7×51 MP files...).

See my weakness for these SD quattro as some kind of mirrorlessmachismo  B)
Quote:.... And, I have to admit this, there's a fair share of machismo in owning and using 1D series cameras (or a Nikon single-digit body for that matter) because when I was starting off, only a handful of people in the whole city of 4,5 million could afford / would needa 1D series unit (1D Mark II - not even the 'N' version - was the current one at that time).

Machismo enough?  Big Grin Probably they took their smallest engineer and put him behind this thing. But if not, the only bigger impression I could make is to glue a "CANON" sticker on it and wear my "...and my Grandma still shoots Nikon!"-vest. 

[Image: Sigma-sd-Quattro-mirrorless-cameras7.jpg]

Sidenote: Three batteries, but only one SD-slot. Tsk. Forget it.  -_-