Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM and 85/1.4 GM plus TCs
Quote:  And now I'm out in the rainy streets and try this 35/2 WR, how good it will behave in low light, we have carnival here in town.  ^_^
Enjoy! After all this is the best part having a camera...

Speaking of Sony, Canon and adapters...... seems like Canon users can score a home run on a Sony A7R MkII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rz4T44GTWE

You mean "...while we Nikonians are screwed up with Adapters transferring no AF"? yes.

Impressive performance Canon/Sony    (edit)..........

I'm not up on adapters it seems to be an area of knowledge all by itself......

............I think it's something to do with electronic aperture mechanisms........Nikon have only recently introduced them.....I'm not sure.....someone doubtless will know...

Quote:You mean "...while we Nikonians are screwed up with Adapters transferring no AF"? yes.

http://www.commlite.com/en/product_show....M-ENF-E(1)
 So do Nikon's lenses retain all their functions with decent AF speed with these adapters in practice? (at least on  the A7R II)

No one has reported on them yet, so no idea how fast they will/would focus.

With Canon lenses it very much depends on the lens too, by the way.

Quote: So do Nikon's lenses retain all their functions with decent AF speed with these adapters in practice? (at least on  the A7R II)

I'd say that a "good" AF performance is nothing you should hope for with these adapter solutions.

DSLR lenses are optimized for phase detection AF - thus essentially unidirectional, uninterrupted movements - which is why PD-AF is very fast (albeit not 100% accurate).

Contrast AF optimized lenses have to efficient for bidirectional movements because the camera does interim readings and the AF "over-shoots" a little before finding focus.

Thus it's more a question whether the AF is "good enough" with these adapters.
Quote:I'd say that a "good" AF performance is nothing you should hope for with these adapter solutions.

DSLR lenses are optimized for phase detection AF - thus essentially unidirectional, uninterrupted movements - which is why PD-AF is very fast (albeit not 100% accurate).

Contrast AF optimized lenses have to have efficient bidirectional movements because the camera does interim readings and the AF "over-shoots" a little before finding focus.

Thus it's more a question whether the AF is "good enough" with these adapters.
 ........and phase detect /contrast detect  on sensor combinations?

It was specific to the Sony A7R II, Jason stated that AF with the A7S was not as good, with other cameras the mileage may vary.

.......but the whole point I thought, of the video was the near equaling of decent DSLR performance using the A7R II/adapter and the 70-200 Canon............ other than top models I can't see a DSLR doing a lot better here.....given this is one of the most difficult situations..... children running around erratically... 

The question now is what other cameras/adapters/ lenses can  match this performance?