Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 1DX mkII
Great stuff. They're pushing the envelope farther and farther, so I'm glad I kinda hopped on the bandwagon with 1D Mark IV. I wasn't really that tempted with the original 1D X for a few reasons (apart from it being prohibitively expensive), namely the loss of 1.3x crop factor and the SD slot (I'm only using SDHC cards now).

Built-in GPS/GLONASS is a cool thing - would be nice to geotag my images during the travels (unfortunately the 1D Mark IV cannot even be equipped with an optional GPS unit - at least there are none listed as compatible).

Standard JPEG (with standard NR applied) image samples:

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/product/catal...nbr=201076

Quote:Built-in GPS/GLONASS is a cool thing 

Are these things better than what they were a few years ago?

I was never able to rely on it on a 4+ year old Sony. Also, my GPS for the car can take anything from 15 seconds to 10 minutes before it locks in. Even then, in some areas the signal just drops.
Quote:Are these things better than what they were a few years ago?

I was never able to rely on it on a 4+ year old Sony. Also, my GPS for the car can take anything from 15 seconds to 10 minutes before it locks in. Even then, in some areas the signal just drops.
The car GPS has trouble with being inside the car. Outside a car my phone has a lot less trouble getting GPS. That may have something to do with your experiences?
The built in GPS/GGLONASS has the advantage to be on board, whereas additional devices need to be mounted and powered and connected by a cable - which is always the second best option. I tried the Nikon GPS-1 and the solmeta geotagger, which works a bit better and faster. But the battery of it drains fast. and very often I forget it at home.

Of course, in dense forrests, narrow valleys, even in cities with very high houses and small streets it will become less reliable. Phones, which connect to know WiFi stations have an advantage in city situations.

The reason phones produce a location fix much faster is because they are able to download the almanac data to speed up gps fixes from the internet. GPS receivers without a cell connection cannot do this, so either have to wait for this to be received from the satellite (12.5 minutes) or have a recent one in memory. This gives a rough location. After which the ephemeris for visible satellites is received which yields the precise location.

http://scottkelby.com/42048-2/

Now that the specs and user reviews are finally hitting the web ........who would have thought after the dazzling specs of the D5....

...........that Canon would trump the Nikon by such a large margin!.......and it has both in specs and price

Nikon has to respond to the IDX MKII  ............ Why would a pro sports shooter now choose the the D5?

A fortnight in the imaging world has matched a week in politics here!

PS. How many canceled D5 pre-orders are we going to see?
Not too many, as the Nikon D4/D4s shooters have chosen those cameras before too, where the 1D-X trumped it in AF speed and feel too (and resolution and FPS and other details).

It just means that there will be less switchers to the D5. Both are (probably) great work horses for their user bases.

As far as I see see things, I don't see a D4 user switching to 1DX for a slight advantage, I remember in 2005 Nikon users bought D2X when Canon had large advantages with 1DMK II and 1 Ds MKII