Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Lomography Jupiter 3+ 50mm f/1.5 L39/M
http://shop.lomography.com/en/jupiter-3-plus

Quote: 

"a resurrection from the zenith of Russian premium optics"
  Funny this lens follows my post on the Zenith 3M with it's early adoption of the 39mm Leica  thread mount......the F2 version  lens was often coupled to the Zorki 3, it must have had some sort of range-finder coupling there........

............I remember years ago the Jupiter 8 50mm F2 lens being reviewed on the Zorki in Amateur Photography magazine........(I think with lens that it cost about  Â£40)........they used views of the Thames embankment with the associated ships moored there in B+W as the test shot............ it was mushy soft at the edges and needed seriously stopping down.......... 

Now the F1.5+ is  $600!..........except on......

Ebay..........here the going rate is around £135.....a bit more like it!.....I wonder what it cost then?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R..._sacat=625

In Blunty's Utube review of the lens he "waxes lyrically" about the lenses qualities..........it seems to be very special.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-VFAf9P_s

Those wanting one better get one quickly.....I dare say the S/H prices will double after this announcement!!

Spent the evening looking at Zorki 4Ks for sale....   :unsure:

When the ugly is trendy again, someone is inevitably going to cash in on it... *facepalm*

But of late, the fad for not only using, but commercially resurrecting - at overblown prices - old junk that has been rightfully buried in the dust of time - is accelerating. Thankfully it's only that - a fad, so give it some time and stuff like this (I'm sure all of you can name quite a few extra examples) will return to the burial ground of history.
Quote:When the ugly is trendy again, someone is inevitably going to cash in on it... *facepalm*

But of late, the fad for not only using, but commercially resurrecting - at overblown prices - old junk that has been rightfully buried in the dust of time - is accelerating. Thankfully it's only that - a fad, so give it some time and stuff like this (I'm sure all of you can name quite a few extra examples) will return to the burial ground of history.
  I was with you on that Rover....however looking at a further video which compares the Jupiter9 vs the Samyang with a view to video footage, there is something to say for a lens which has low contrast and hazy flare wide open, it clearly shows that Samyang's perfect contrast rendering actually darkened  the shadows too  much removing atmosphere and colour in the shot......not to mention the very excellent round diaphragm which truly remains round when heavily stopped down, given it does also sharpen up nicely. 

We are "wowed" on Canon/Nikons nine round bladed iris's........ when we are seeing fifteen bladed Russian lenses? they seemed to have little trouble doing it cheaply and are out there still functioning away forty years on.

The aspect that makes it difficult to swallow is the S/H examples out there at about the right price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkQFA4pUzU

If I find one at the right price I'll buy it........I came across one yesterday on "le bon coin" site, but the guy was wanting to sell the whole kit which was based on a Kiev.

This is probably not definitive, but seems like a reasonable discussion of the zenith of Russian premium optics:

http://www.camapart.com/camera-and-lens-...ens-review

[...] the 1.5 maximum aperture is indicative of lens' ancestry from mid-century Zeiss design [...] and Zeiss crown achievement at the time, the magnificent Sonnar.
[...] it quickly become the dominant design for super-fast lenses of the next two decades. Some popular knock-offs of it included:
  • <p style="margin-left:40px;">Jupiter-3 1.5/50, the primary subject of this article;

<div style="margin-left:40px;">The story of the Jupiter (the Roman interpretation of Zeiss.. er, Zeus) is complicated. In the build-up of World-War II, the USSR and Nazi Germany collaborated on a number of issues, including cross-licensing of optical designs. However, Sonnar did not get a chance to surface in the East until the hostilities broke. [...] Krasnogorsk mechanical plant near Moscow (known as KMZ) picked up the designs, the coating technology, a number of lens parts and intact chunks of Schott glass, and set up the manufacturing. It was actively helped by key Zeiss engineers, so by early 1950s the production was in full swing. The original German glass did not run out until 1954; after that, however, most designs were recalculated by KMZ to accommodate for domestic types of glass.
</div>
Ok guys..... just put my analyst  on danger money! :blink: ......

I think I've just purchased a Zorki 4  50th anniversary edition (50 years from the 1917 Russian Revolution) with a Jupiter 8 50mm F2 lens (nine blades) in what looks like very good condition with leather case.....thumb-wheel film advance...........50€ including postage. 

It has a problem with range-finder calibration, so the guy let it go cheap....I've found a site which shows how to calibrate the system. The lens flange distance is 28.2mm.

....i haven't shot a roll of film for years.....looking forward to it.......I'll try a roll of 25 ASA B+W..

hey ho.......

Flange distance for M39 is 28.8mm... Are you sure it has 28.2mm?

Which reminds me, I still have some B/W ISO 400 film in my Agfa Record II with Agfa Solinar 105mm f4.5 (about 45mm f1.9 FF equivalent). If I remember correctly, I still have two frames left  :ph34r:

More comparable to your "new" Ruski, I have a Kodak Retina rangefinder which should still work fine. Fixed 50mm lens.

Quote:Flange distance for M39 is 28.8mm... Are you sure it has 28.2mm?

Which reminds me, I still have some B/W ISO 400 film in my Agfa Record II with Agfa Solinar 105mm f4.5 (about 45mm f1.9 FF equivalent). If I remember correctly, I still have two frames left  :ph34r:

More comparable to your "new" Ruski, I have a Kodak Retina rangefinder which should still work fine. Fixed 50mm lens.
Hi BC..

..You know me BC, in between looking up the flange distance and writing it down I always make some sort of  error.....yes 28.8mm,........then it's just a question of finding an adapter for the Pentax K mount for my very appropriate K01 with focus peaking........I will check it out....
Quote:Hi BC..

..You know me BC, in between looking up the flange distance and writing it down I always make some sort of  error.....yes 28.8mm,........then it's just a question of finding an adapter for the Pentax K mount for my very appropriate K01 with focus peaking........I will check it out....
Uhmm, that won't work? The K01 is about the only "mirrorless" camera with "mirrorbox", giving it a flange distance of 45.46mm.

I think it will be hard to find an adapter with a thickness of -16.66mm? It would fit just fine on my cheap EOS M with the M39 adapter I got from... China.

​Probably I am misunderstanding your post?