Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 4.0 for X-E2 - how much of X-E2s is in it?
This thread is about Fuji's ability to upgrade certain hardware just by updating the firmware. As from February, 4th 2016 a new firmware (4.0) will lift a X-E2 with the current version 3.10 to nearly or fully (?) a new X-E2s.

How much will remain hardware-only and how good is the new firmware?

I find it an interesting strategy, especially with regards to sustainability and investment-protection: Instead of forcing a customer to buy a new body and sell the "old" one (after 20 months a case for the bin), just put some customer wishes together, create a new firmware and on you go - for free.

People with higher desires still can get a X-Pro2 (at 3× the price, body only) and get lots of more features. But my reason not to choose the "more professionally looking" X-T1 or X-Pro1 was mainly curiosity when jumping into mirrorless system adventure. First I want to understand what's going on and is this kind of camera working for my ideas? Then I like maybe 2, max 3 lenses as a base. And who knows? Lateron is still enough time to sell a couple of Nikon hardware and get a X-Pro2 or a X-T2 and maybe this cool 100-400 zoom.

If Fujifilm spoils their customers with this tasty desert, Nikon would need some excellent ideas to keep me onboard.

Here's the feature list, nicely explained: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital...ge_08.html

What do I miss? Not much.

Maybe some statements to the "high" ISO 6400 (which is by today's standards lower average, since big boy Nikon already released D5 and D500 with 7 digits of ISO. Was it 3 million? Doesn't matter much to me.

Maybe a statement to the increased sensitivity of the AF, from 2.5 EV to 0.5 EV (still, elsewhere it's -3 EV, a black camera in a very black tunnel...)

But numbers... at Whippells of Manchester they sell gloves and tell me "Don't care about those numbers, sir. If it fits, it fits".

Else than that?

My first steps with Fujifilm X-Trans are in this gallery, at least the better ones.

Two pictures I like to grab and give a bit more details.

[Image: _DSF0343-M.jpg]

For that I used a metabones mechanical (only) adapter for Nikon lenses and put the Micro Nikkor 105/2.8 in front of it. No AF, no VR, no EXIF (that's a bit unpleasant...) but at least I can change the aperture 7 steps down. I heard the drops of melting snow outside of my window, focused where the last drop exploded and tried to synchronize my finger with the "blopp!" The second shot was this one, very lucky. After that i tried bit more and got two less impressive ones, but it remained the best to me.

Then I took a D810 and a 50 mm, focussed manually and tried to sync again with the "blopp", although at the time it was less regularly. No single hit although 3× more clicks. The delay between "release" and "picture" was too long for me.

[Image: _DSF0412-M.jpg]

Another sample with this adapter, this time with a Micro Nikkor 40/2.8 (yes, the super cheapplasticco one). Nearly as close as it can get and admittedly the lousiest, stickiest focusring, but with a LiveView in that quality I move the camera to the object and it's done. There's minimal RAW-work in Aperture:

[Image: i-L3nqgKM-M.png]

A little bit more "definition" and a more narrow tonescale, that's about it - the rest were default values. Especially happy I'm about the reds without anymore saturation.

Quote:Maybe some statements to the "high" ISO 6400 ....
It's quite easy: Going to website for the X-E2 and checking the specifications, especially the ones with <sup>*3 </sup>
and soon I know more:

Quote: 

AUTO1 / AUTO2*3 / AUTO3*3 (Control available up to ISO 6400) 
Equivalent to ISO 200 - 6400 (Standard Output Sensitivity) 
Extended output sensitivity : Equivalent ISO 100, 12800, 25600 and 51200*3

Also some extended movie modes, but see for yourself: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital...fications/