Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon G1 X
Hello Fellow Photozoners,

After advise from some of you for a good compact camera, I have bought a used Canon G1 X in the beginning of August. I seemed to work fine and the owner said he had only taken 500 photo's. But I started using the camera properly only 6 weeks ago. And I discovered that the AF is ver slow. Even when there's enough light. And sometimes it doesn't focus at all. Then I have to zoom in and out before it will focus again.

Is that common problem with this camera or do I have to get it checked out?

Kind regards,

Reinier
I have seen this problem with other Canon EF  lenses and it went after repairing the faulty focus, looks more like lens problem for me, I suggest you send the lens for repairs.

Once you get your lens back , retest your lens for focus accuracy since the guys at Canon will kindly repair/replace the faulty part but they won't necessarily do focus calibraton

How would you do a "lens focus calibration" on a mirrorless system camera? The focusing process happens on sensor plane.

If it's the only lens, Reinier, I suggest to send in body and lens. I assume there's still warranty it? Tell Canon you're unhappy with AF performance and behaviour

Quote:How would you do a "lens focus calibration" on a mirrorless system camera? The focusing process happens on sensor plane.

If it's the only lens, Reinier, I suggest to send in body and lens. I assume there's still warranty it? Tell Canon you're unhappy with AF performance and behaviour

Sorry didn't pay attention it was mirrorless.
Hi Guys,

Indeed, it is not an interchangeable lens on the G1X, so I cannot send the lens to Canon.

I have no warranty, because it is a second hand camera, bought from a private person.

I am not to happy about the quality of the repair from the Canon centre in the Netherlands. My Canon EOS 5D had to be sent back three times, because of faulty repairs and my 70-200 /4.0 twice. They just messed up and I wonder if they even tested the equipment after the repair.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Doesn't sound inviting. The G1X (I confused that with the mirrorless system, don't know why) is not that old? But on the other hand, when I did a bit research about G5X, I recall the focus was not described as "fast". I'm sorry, I don't know what to advise.

Quote:Hello Fellow Photozoners,

After advise from some of you for a good compact camera, I have bought a used Canon G1 X in the beginning of August. I seemed to work fine and the owner said he had only taken 500 photo's. But I started using the camera properly only 6 weeks ago. And I discovered that the AF is ver slow. Even when there's enough light. And sometimes it doesn't focus at all. Then I have to zoom in and out before it will focus again.

Is that common problem with this camera or do I have to get it checked out?

Kind regards,

Reinier
"very slow" can mean slower than you expected but normal for the model too. Hard to judge for us?

Probably you can find some "reviews" on youtube which show the AF speed, so you can determine if it is normally slow or unusually slow.
I hoped there would be some of you who have this camera model. Of course if you don't then it is hard to tell whether the AF is as it should be. So, I appreciate you don't have an answer.

By the way, it is not only slow, but it has a hard time focusing at all and that's the main problem. I often have to zoom in and out if it doesn't focus and then try again and hope it focuses this time around.

I'll take a look at Utube.....and then look for another camera. But I do not want to sell this camera if it is faulty. It is a different story if this is just how this model operates. And that is what I like to find out first.

Kind regards,

Reinier