Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
next PZ lens test report: Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
#1
Nice but way too pricey

 

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/965-zeiss55f18

 

 

#2
  Agreed too pricey..... Sony is creating a seemingly new price bracket......

 

      Thumbs up for the four bar system looks to work well!....

 

   In this case Zeiss have not attempted anything with even vague APO intentions....it's most noticeable in portraits........reminds me of the Nikor AF85mm F1.8D in this respect...........

 

 Comments welcome on the new A7II........... 

Dave's clichés
#3
There's already a thread on A7RII: http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...he-a7r-ii/

 

I usually don't take sides for Sony/Zeiss but after reading another teardown over at lensrentals (which was a 35/1.4 Sonnar, the guys wondered how it come to AF reliability) I think, Sony / Zeiss are doing things differently and that also costs a bit money. Quoting Roger

Quote:We've been inside the 55mm FE f/1.8 lens and it has a very similar system. So we suspected the system was different in the 35mm lens, which hardly ever fails.
 
 

What I also notice and agree with: Sony did a lot of new things lately. More than the other big players which is a good thing to keep them up but I'm still not quite sure about my own opinion. I like a lot of things I read about Sonys mirrorless system but I'm still not going to get one. Anyway, I think they are closer to what I want than Nikon is.

 

And a last bit: I like a lot you took more shots wide open, Klaus. After all, this is what one pays for, good performance wide open and nice bokeh as well.

#4
Klaus, did I miss something or is this the first test with the "near center" measurement?

stoppingdown.net

 

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
#5
Quote:Klaus, did I miss something or is this the first test with the "near center" measurement?
 

Sort of. Internally I did it on the 35/1.4L II before.

I will update the 5Ds R tests at some stage.
#6
Quote:There's already a thread on A7RII: http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...he-a7r-ii/

 

I usually don't take sides for Sony/Zeiss but after reading another teardown over at lensrentals (which was a 35/1.4 Sonnar, the guys wondered how it come to AF reliability) I think, Sony / Zeiss are doing things differently and that also costs a bit money. Quoting Roger

 

What I also notice and agree with: Sony did a lot of new things lately. More than the other big players which is a good thing to keep them up but I'm still not quite sure about my own opinion. I like a lot of things I read about Sonys mirrorless system but I'm still not going to get one. Anyway, I think they are closer to what I want than Nikon is.

 

And a last bit: I like a lot you took more shots wide open, Klaus. After all, this is what one pays for, good performance wide open and nice bokeh as well.
Is that in response and as defence to the 55mm f1.8 being very pricy? LR actually says that the early FE lenses (they mention the 24-70mm f4 and 55mm f1.8 specifically) "seem to have autofocus failure .. frequently"

 

The 35mm f1.4 Sony is very plastic in its internals (in contrast what LR noted in the Canon 35mm f1.4 II teardown), with a lot of rubber seals, but LR notes the odd missing seal at the mount end.
#7
So how come you are happy to give this lens an optical score on the Sony 42mp sensor, but not lenses tested on the 5DsR on the basis of lack of testing?


There's not that much difference between 42mp and 50mp.
#8
Quote:So how come you are happy to give this lens an optical score on the Sony 42mp sensor, but not lenses tested on the 5DsR on the basis of lack of testing?


There's not that much difference between 42mp and 50mp.
I guess because the jump from 36 to 42 mp is a bit smaller than the jump to 50mp, and the 55mm lens is less wide angle, and the proposed near center test has been included in this test?
#9
Yes, I wouldn't have changed from the 36mp tests if the camera wasn't useless.

The difference between 36mp and 42mp is rather irrelevant.

However, the difference between 21mp and 50mp just isn't. 
#10
Quote:Is that in response and as defence to the 55mm f1.8 being very pricy? LR actually says that the early FE lenses (they mention the 24-70mm f4 and 55mm f1.8 specifically) "seem to have autofocus failure .. frequently"

 

The 35mm f1.4 Sony is very plastic in its internals (in contrast what LR noted in the Canon 35mm f1.4 II teardown), with a lot of rubber seals, but LR notes the odd missing seal at the mount end.
 

Well, I can't look inside. I can only rate a lens from a user perspective.

The FEs are all pretty impressive within that framework.

I should also mention that I have yet to see a significant centering error in one of the FEs.
  


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
2 Guest(s)