Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L II corners vs Sigma AF 35mm f/1.4 Art corners
Another two things to consider: the comparison was done with camera on a tripod and at base ISO. Now, a 35 mm is often called a reportage lens which then means higher ISO, no tripod. The 5DS R is not exactly a high ISO machine, if I believe what a couple of testers said while the Sigma can be used on any of those great and sensitive sensors, be it Sony or Nikon. In my opinion the Canon lens is slightly better under perfect conditions. In everyday handhold shooting there's just no Canon body up to the competition, and more than that: with the new A7xII series there's a HR sensor with high ISO capacities plus in body stabilisation which will max a Sigma or Zeiss lens in much worse conditions than the Canon body ever will be able cope with.

The other thing is sample variation. Canon does a very good job in that, Sigma less so. But as Roger's OLAF charts show, the worst Sigma was still better at some frequencies than the best old 35 from Canon. Now I wonder, where in this range was the compared sample of Marvin Anthony? If on the "low end" you could get a sample which is even closer to the Canon (but will not exceed). While if it's on the higher end one could see a bit more difference with an average sample compared to the Canon.

And the third thing just occurred while typing this post. Maybe Canon's AF is excellent at all distances equally, who knows. I use my 35 mm sometimes at close or closer distances and it turns out, the possibility of adjusting AF on 4 different distances with the dock is quite useful and gave me more keepers than before. One can say "I expect a lens to be perfect out of the box", fine, dream on. Personal experience: not even Zeiss at Zeiss prices is able to do that, very especially not in 800€ regions.

But okay, this advantage would mean nothing, if the 35/1.4 L II would be adapted on a Sony mirrorless.

Messages In This Thread
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L II corners vs Sigma AF 35mm f/1.4 Art corners - by JJ_SO - 12-02-2015, 09:21 AM