Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New image sensor by Invisage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpfIHdn1Df0

uhh... Still the same as it was promoted in 2010, where it was promised to be in cellphone cameras in 2012?

This time, will it actually start to appear in (a) product(s)?

I too see this nowhere near a production camera.

Given the market situation it will take the big boys in the sensor world to take this on board,  Canon seem to be happy with their undynamic sensors.  I would want to see the words Toshiba/Sony/Samsung  lurking in the background of this video before awarding it any real credence, fine principal though it may be! 
In those days it is not the best technology that prevails but it is how you do your marketing 

it is not the first time we see this, anyway with time the big boys will end cartching up. take for instance telegram messenger and whatsapp, telegram was by far better than whatsapp yet it was lacking behind in the market, now they catched up exept for encripting maybe 

in other domains we have plenty of examples

If we can believe this video, there'll be no moiree effects with this sensor.

However, they are certainly not targeting the system market in the beginning.

Quote:If we can believe this video, there'll be no moiree effects with this sensor.
Where did you see that? I just watched it again and don't see anything to suggest that would be the case. Moire can come from regular sampling... and they are still using regular sampling.

I'll give them benefit any performance doubt for now, but with all the tweaks Sony and others have been doing with BSI and more, I wonder how much real world gain there is to be had.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
The only difference is a different layer catching the light energy. You still have a square grid of pixels, so: aliasing and moire. And you still have Bayer RGB CFA above that layer, so: colour moire.

One of the pushed rumours say that they will work with Sony to get the cellphone camera sensors produced.