Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
screen/printer calibration options
Quote:Thanks folks for the info, much helpful

This narrows my choices to two devices that were not in my wishlist before:

colormunki display, not available in Lebanon, my sister visting France will get it for me in 3 weeks: 137 EUR: obsviously no warranty

i1display pro: available here with warranty : 385$ roughly 350 EUR

As far as I understood I am not getting much advantage from the i1display over the colormunki display so this one should be the way to go ?
If you want to print photos yourself (your printer, not in a lab), you need a spectrophotometer (like Colormunki Photo/Design) and not a colorimeter (like the 2 devices you're considering now). Colorimeters are a bit better at profiling displays, they're more accurate, but you can't profile a printer with them. And for most people it's just not worth it to buy both types of devices just to get that little extra accuracy for display calibration that colorimeters provide.

I haven't looked at the market for a few years now, so maybe things have changed now, but 2-3 years ago the best solution to profile printers on the budget was still Colormunki Photo/Design. It's the same model basically, just different packaging. In order to get accurate profiles with them you'll have to use Argyll CMS. It's an open-source software that is not user-friendly, and it takes some time to learn how to use it, but it's definitely worth it cause by using Argyll with Colormunki you're getting pretty much the same accuracy as with the 2-3x more expensive i1 pro.
Just ordered colormunki photo  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

This should be my christmas present this year

It has been years I didn't get photo gear as presents.

A photo printer from my wife  for my birthday and colormunki photo for christmas...this is what I call great presents