Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM IS
Quote:That's correct, it wasn't f/4, but who shoots landscape wide open? So, the vignetting might be technically there, but in practice it is no problem. By the way, the picture was only sharpened with DPP, no other post-processing was done. Coming from film photography, as a rule I hardly do any post-processing at all. For me a photograph must be complete when I push the button, not when I click the mouse ;-)

See. Whatever we do it's wrong. Either we mentioned it and then we are being told that's irrelevant (within certain scopes) or we point out that it's usually irrelevant but are criticized that it's easily noticeable (within certain scopes).

:-)
Quote:That's correct, it wasn't f/4, but who shoots landscape wide open? So, the vignetting might be technically there, but in practice it is no problem.
PZ only mentioned it vignettes a lot when used relatively wide open. So, not sure why you seem to disagree? Canon thought it was a good idea to offer f4 on that lens. Maybe they don't think it is that irrelevant (they even offer f2.8 on FF UWA zoom).
Quote:PZ only mentioned it vignettes a lot when used relatively wide open. So, not sure why you seem to disagree? Canon thought it was a good idea to offer f4 on that lens. Maybe they don't think it is that irrelevant (they even offer f2.8 on FF UWA zoom).
I don't see your point and I don't disagree. I just wanted to pint out that technically vignetting is visible, but that in practice it is no real problem as hardly anybody shoots landscape wide-open.

@Klaus: Yeah, I guess you make it right for everybody. What ailed me was that in your summary of the test results you weighed too heavy on the vignetting, which - again! - won't be much of a problem in the real life.
Quote:I don't see your point and I don't disagree. I just wanted to pint out that technically vignetting is visible, but that in practice it is no real problem as hardly anybody shoots landscape wide-open.

@Klaus: Yeah, I guess you make it right for everybody. What ailed me was that in your summary of the test results you weighed too heavy on the vignetting, which - again! - won't be much of a problem in the real life.

Klaus reported that he objectively measured the highest vignetting in any APS-C test ever (specifically at 11mm * f/4).  You replied that you subjectively disagreed. 

Then you keep prattling on that nobody ever uses f/4 for landscape photography to support your argument that Klaus unfairly remarked about the vignetting even though he clearly and twice remarked:

"Stopping down to f/8 is advisable to reduce the issue to a more manageable degree of ~1EV.  The falloff is [..] quite Ok from f/8 onward. "

"[...] the vignetting is fairly smooth - thus less disturbing - and it's much better at f/8."

And he gave the lens got a very high rating all around.

And it's quite possible that the lens could be used for things OTHER than landscape photography where in practice that vignetting at f/4-f/5.6 is important to the user.  Perhaps it might be important for interiors, etc, etc.